British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-11-09, 06:03 PM

Default Border badges?

Hi all, I'm interested in the history and insignia of the units that made up the glider borne troops of the 1st and 6th airlanding brigades in WW2. I have come accross images of cloth patches with a glider and either "Border" or "Kings Own Border", are these the same regiment or different ones? and if so does anyone have images of what their respective cap badges looked like? I've also seen shoulder titles saying just "Border", who would have worn this? lastly I believe that the Kings Own Scottish Borderers were also part of the brigade at some point, what shoulder title did they wear?

Regards Tony
Old 21-11-09, 07:07 PM

King's Own Border was worn post 1958 after the amalgamation of the King's Own (Royal Lancaster) Regiment and the Border Regiment. This unit is now part of the Duke of Lancaster's regiment

OC14
Old 21-11-09, 07:49 PM
peter616

Hi you need the book WHEN DRAGONS FLEW good book on the 1st bn border regt

peter
Old 21-11-09, 07:50 PM

The Border Reg 1st Batallion in the 6th airborne wore an unoffcial S/T badge in yellow letters "BORDER" on green and then a purple backing. The also wore the Pegasus and airborne strip.I am sure Luc will let us know more as this is his favourite! The cap badge was the same as general Border Regiment. The book Peter is referring to has some great colour pictures dating from ww2 where you can see the Border S/T.

The 7th bat KOSB wore the Leslie tartan shoulder patch and the Pegasus and Airborne strip or just the Pegasus and strip.The cap badge was general KOSB arguably without tartan backing on the maroon beret but this could have differed in practice.

Cheers
JB

Last edited by HamandJam; 21-11-09 at 08:11 PM.
Old 21-11-09, 08:06 PM

Sailorbear,the South Staffords were also entitled to wear the glider badge.This was continued by the Staffs regt and now the mercian regt.I dont know which brigade they served in,im sure that somebody will pass on the relevant information.
Old 21-11-09, 08:16 PM

Default Great book

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter616 View Post
Hi you need the book WHEN DRAGONS FLEW good book on the 1st bn border regt

peter
You really need the above book,it can be purchased from the Border Reg museum in Carlisle for £25.00,it has recently been updated and is a must for all us Airborne collectors. The WW2 BORDER S/T should not have the word Border running through to the back of the title,if it has then it is the post war variety. There is a title that encapsulates a glider,this is also post war,I showed a one that I have to the curator of the museum and he stated that he had not seen a one exactly like it before,it was apparently the stitching that was different. When I get a chance I will post a pic.
Regards,Ivan
Old 21-11-09, 08:25 PM

Tony,
The airlanding battalion wore a number of shoulder titles throughout history, you will see them plus cap badges on my website:

http://home.tiscali.nl/nijsten/captitles.html

The unofficial one (yellow on green on purple) has caused many debates over the past few years on several forums. The consensus is that the one shown on my site is the only pattern that was worn in WWII; other slightly different patterns are either still open for debate or post-war.
Old 22-11-09, 10:05 AM

Hi Luc

I remember that you told me that the ones with yellow stichting -as on you site and in Peter Taylors book - were post war and that only the ones with green sticthing were ww2

I have both so I should be ok anyhow

Cheers
JB
Old 22-11-09, 02:50 PM

Default Title

Hi Lads,
Having spoken to the Curator of the Border museum,as I said earlier,he stressed that if the embroidery(for the want of another word)of the wording "border" is shown at the rear of the title then it is not War Time,but the 1951 pattern used until 1958,if my memory serves me right.
Regards,Ivan
Old 22-11-09, 03:51 PM

Hi Guys

I have this unissued example.

Regards

JB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Border Regiment 001.jpg (73.1 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Border Regiment 002.jpg (54.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Border Regiment 003.jpg (58.8 KB, 30 views)
Old 22-11-09, 06:29 PM

JB, the one from Peter's book is a post-war example. Wartime examples (as far as the consensus goes) look like this:

Old 22-11-09, 06:31 PM

There is one other example, no stitching shows on the back, the Border Regt museum curator confirmed this to be WWII pattern too but the collecting community isn't convinced.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Afbeelding 037.jpg (89.0 KB, 59 views)
Old 23-11-09, 06:55 AM

Luc

As you may recall I bought my example from you

Cheers

JB

Last edited by HamandJam; 23-11-09 at 07:20 AM.
Old 23-11-09, 07:18 PM

Yes, for a fiver if I'm not mistaken? It's an odd one, as it doesn't resemble the accepted wartime pattern or the post-war sealed patterns.
Old 23-11-09, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post
the post-war sealed patterns.
Once more into the etc,

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:30 PM.