British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Cavalry and Armoured Units

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-06-09, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Default VIII Recce

I found a file folder of old journals from the Military and Police Historical Society of Canada. The society existed for about 3 years, starting in 1984. The MPHSC Vol 1 No 1 included an article on the VIII Recce, including some interesting comments about repro badges.
The unit was created in the UK, and the first CO, Lt Col Churchill Mann, designed and had them made at his cost. The badge was a silver maple leaf, with a gilt double scroll bearing the Roman numeral VIII and RECCE on the upper and lower arms of the scroll respectively. RCOC refused to provide the badges so Mann acquired them and sold them to the regiment at cost.
More interestingly, at the end of the article a paragraph discussed the issue of reproductions. (The article was published in 1984.)

"After personally talking with some ex-members of this distinquished regiment... it was definately established that no variety of their badge existed and those found bearing the word Canada on it (are) reproductions. Beware of any VIII Recce badge containing the extra scroll with Canada on it as it does not deserve a place of importance in your collection. Also note that other repros exist but the stem of the maple leaf is facing the opposite dicrection than illustrated. (The authentic badge has the oval on the stem base facing left.)

Last edited by Bill A; 08-06-09 at 03:28 PM. Reason: clarified post
Old 08-06-09, 02:00 PM

Hi Bill,your post, of today, is similar to the discussion we had on this subject in March with you,me, WJ Miller,Doug N,DavidS and Ray.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 08-06-09, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Jo, Yes, but this article added the info about the stem, which I thought would be useful for collectors. It is interesting that 25 years ago, there was significant concerns about VIII repros.
Old 08-06-09, 02:39 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Thanks Bill, Good digging.
Old 08-06-09, 02:42 PM

Default 8th Recce

Hi Bill: Thanks for the info. I had planned to add an 8th Recce "Canada" badge to my collection, but I have changed my mind after your timely information.
Moe.
Old 08-06-09, 03:34 PM

Hi Bill, good posting, thanks.
Does the article speculate on where the repros were made (coming from)?

Bill M.
Old 08-06-09, 03:36 PM

Bill, you're right in bringing this up. Felicitations.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 08-06-09, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks. There was no indication of the source of the repro badges, but that was about the time that a certain "badge maker" was active in eastern Ontario.
I will continue to dig through these for other badge gems. I had at one time a list of repro badges circa 1980 compiled by Charles Stewart. I haven't seen it for years, but if it comes along I will post it.
Old 09-06-09, 05:44 AM

The VIII RECCE Canada scroll badges are rudimentary, low quality castings. They might best be described as crap. If we're thinking of the same guy, the Eastern Ontario badge maker was quite skilled. Not trying to flatter any forger, but I'd be surprised if the Canada Recce's were his work.

I've heard more than a few stories about the origins of this badge...
  • It's an officers badge (I'd say not. The quality is too bad)
  • It's a reunion badge (maybe so)
  • It was made by Dutch civilians & given / sold to soldiers as souveniers (possible / plausible)
Somewhere out there is a person who remembers, or a period photograph which will tell the tale. It would be nice to know for sure.