British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Cavalry and Armoured Units

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-06-09, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Default 1 CACR Painted Mk II Helmet?

An interesting lot indeed. A Mk II helmet "painted" with the 1 CACR kangaroo and the 79th Div formation patch.
http://cgi.ebay.com/WW2-Canadian-Arm...lenotsupported
Old 04-06-09, 02:57 PM

Hi Bill. i saw that last night while browsing and I was wondering if a private, in the field, during the war, had time to paint his helmet (probably yes) but, to wear something like that in action.............I don't think so, but it would make a great target.....That's only my opinion.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 04-06-09, 04:21 PM

Check the motto...
Old 04-06-09, 05:12 PM

Fundit!

Tom
Old 04-06-09, 10:07 PM

Default Probably not a wartime item...

The kangaroos (as most tank men) favoured wearing only their berets. I am at my Dad's house today and showed the auction photos to the old kangaroo (who will be 86 next week), his reaction? "Never saw anything like that. I never had a helmet with the Kangaroos, only wore a helmet when I was in Canada." and then he walked away...

I do have a single photo of a kangaroo trooper wearing a Mk.II (no markings on it) but he is not in a tank, he was acting as a stretcher bearer. There is also a photo of Major Copley with an AFV helmet hanging off the hull of his tank, but not wearing it.

As for fancy painted helmets, I can't see their strict CO approving of anyone actually wearing this on duty. Most likely postwar, trench art (by a bad speller) or it is a fantasy piece. It's interesting though, I'll give it that. I have asked the seller about its history/provenance. Quite a few "characters" that served with the Kangaroos came from Nova Scotia.
Old 04-06-09, 10:51 PM

Default Another possibility.

It occurred to me that this could also be a gift from a Dutch civilian to one of the kangaroos? I know they were very close to civilian families in Tilburg and Enschede and recieved many small tokens from them. I have an odd needlepoint bag given to a trooper that is just such an item. I have also seen a handpainted wooden shoe in the collection of another veteran. That could account for the spelling mistake.

This isn't a photo of "trench art", but a shjot of a some of the kids who hung around thier camp in Enschede at the end of the war... I love this photo. The expression on the little kid with the shorts that are a little tight is priceless!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WJM_EnschedeKids.jpg (74.1 KB, 51 views)
Old 04-06-09, 11:02 PM

Default Needlepoint bag.

Here is a photo of the bag (man purse) I mentioned earlier. Given to Trooper John Ewing. The initials of the person who made it (friend?Girlfriend?) are on the back. It is about the size of a beret when laid flat. 9-10 inches in diameter. lined with a khaki material. Well made, but an odd thing for a Trooper to carry...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WJM_TprEwing_bag.jpg (72.6 KB, 59 views)
Old 05-06-09, 04:05 AM

It probably held his plate and utensils very handily.
Old 06-06-09, 10:59 PM

Question Item removed?

I just logged into eBay to discover that the seller yanked the item? Was it something I said?
Old 21-08-09, 12:13 AM

Default Another fancy hat!

Here is yet another eBay, very odd fantasy item that is quite a stretch... quite a lot of these repro badges turning up in Australia?

Last edited by WJ Miller; 21-08-09 at 12:18 AM. Reason: fix hyperlink error
Old 21-08-09, 01:27 AM

This hat is a mystery to me, even though I've been collecting for over 20 years........... but I am not sure, nor do I claim to be an expert in this area of militaria.... ...........The badge is also fantastic and came with the hat although I cannot confirm that it is genuinely a part of the cap..........and with these "admac"is making sure that the moron buying this can't come back and say he was sc****d.

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”

Old 16-10-10, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

The helmet in question has re-appeared on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Old 16-10-10, 10:08 PM

And hasn't it reappeared with the motto 'corrected'? Can't remember offhand what the error was, but it ain't there now. Must be legitimate for sure
Old 16-10-10, 10:32 PM

Cancelled............my mistake.

Jo

Old 16-10-10, 10:57 PM

Default ? Again?

Hmm, I'm not sure if this is the same helmet.

The one from last year, besides having the motto wrong (and I can't recall either what it was?? "Pundit"??) had a very large chunk of paint missing on the 79 AD bullhead. The paint was removed right down to the metal. Unless the whole thing has been repainted I think this one is different.
When I get home to my files after the weekend, I'll check (I kept screen shots of the old eBay item) and compare. The paint on this one seems considerably more rough overall.

I've asked the seller for any provenance but I'm not holding my breath. Same helmet or not it is not a regt. issued piece in any case, period(?) trench art at best, high priced fantasy at worst.