British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-04-09, 02:41 PM

Smile PORT TASK FORCES RE

Can any member give me information on the 1st; 2nd; and 3rd PORT TASK

FORCES RE. I have the arm badges but am unable to discover any information

concerning these units.

Any information would help.

Thank you

Locking in Dorset UK
Old 21-04-09, 11:38 AM

Default PORT TASK FORCES RE

HI, Have you tried the Royal Engineer Museum in Chatham, Kent?? I would say that these units were special war raised units that could possibly be for the the construction and operation of the Mulberry harbours, before and during the D Day landings. This is just a guess.
Also up to 1965, I think, the RE's were responsible for the building, upkeep and operation of all military ports until the hand over to the RCT. I hope this helps.
Jerry

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 21-04-09, 01:28 PM

Smile PORT TASK FORCES RE

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try the museum.

Cheers

John Cronin aka locking
Old 01-10-09, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locking View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I will try the museum.

Cheers

John Cronin aka locking
H John, was just wondering if you hadany luck with the RE museum?

I put a post on te airborne and special forces forum a while ago asking if anyone had any information on a badge described as Port Commando RE, but recieved no helpful replies! Could it be that we are seeking information on the same unit?

The badge in question is a yellow P on a dark blue circle (similar to, but not to be confused with the Phantom GHQ Liasion regiment white P on a black square) another badge also is a yellow downward facing capital E on a black shield described as Army Emergency RE. All the badges are produced by Divpatch www.divpatch.com for the re enactment world. I have emailed them askng for information on the badges and units but have recieved no reply.

Do you have any images of the badges of the RE units you are seeking information on or does anyone on here have any thoughts on the Port Commando RE?
Old 01-10-09, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorbear View Post
H John, was just wondering if you hadany luck with the RE museum?

I put a post on te airborne and special forces forum a while ago asking if anyone had any information on a badge described as Port Commando RE, but recieved no helpful replies! Could it be that we are seeking information on the same unit?

The badge in question is a yellow P on a dark blue circle (similar to, but not to be confused with the Phantom GHQ Liasion regiment white P on a black square) another badge also is a yellow downward facing capital E on a black shield described as Army Emergency RE. All the badges are produced by Divpatch www.divpatch.com for the re enactment world. I have emailed them askng for information on the badges and units but have recieved no reply.

Do you have any images of the badges of the RE units you are seeking information on or does anyone on here have any thoughts on the Port Commando RE?
Regards Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01. Port Commando RE.jpg (16.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 02. GHQ Liasion regt Phantom.jpg (16.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 03. Army Emergency RE.jpg (18.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 01-10-09, 12:50 PM

Default PORT TASK FORCES RE

This is taken form the RE history. Could it explain the PORT TASK FORCES RE??
Transportation
In 1940 as the ports on the south and east of the country (being closest to the Continent) were in danger of attack it was decided that two new ports for ocean-going ships should be built on the west coast of Scotland at Faslane and Cairn Ryan.

Royal Engineers Port construction companies built them, whilst the Railway construction companies laid 50 miles of track in the docks and connected them to the main lines.

In June 1943 in preparation for Operation Overlord work began on improving and developing the Inland Water Transport (IWT) repair depot at Marchwood, Southampton.

Faslane, now a Naval base, was built and operated by the Royal Engineers Transportation Services (1940-46)
(Photo: Maritime Books)
From late 1943 to June 1944 Marchwood was used for the construction of parts of the Mulberry Harbour.

Jerry.

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 01-10-09, 02:29 PM

Thumbs up PORT TASK FORCES

Here are the badges of the task forces. Also the reply from some one who studied TA units in depth. I hope that this helps.

cheers

locking

Last edited by locking; 11-01-10 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-10-09, 06:05 PM

This is not much information,but there was a series of excellent articles in the Armourer magazine by John Bodsworth entitled " Post War Batteldress" and in one article there was a bd uniform of a sapper of the 3rd Port Task Force illustrated from circa 1958.

John says that the badge of the 3rd Port Task Force was known as the "kipper on a stick"

This only shows that ( at least one ) Port Task Force unit was still in existance well after WW2.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg REPTF.jpg (60.4 KB, 46 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 02-10-09, 11:01 AM

Default Port Task force RE

Cheers all for the info, very useul and much appreciated.

Regards Tony
Old 03-10-09, 09:14 PM

Default Port Task Force RE

Here is the information I have gleaned about the post-war PTF. This comes directly from Army Dress Committee (ADC) minutes in Kew.

2 Port Task Force/ 28 Engineer Group (TA).

05.04.57. Specimen of Formation Sign (FS) submitted for approval by HQ 2 Port Task Force- TAC, Northfield Gardens, South Shields. Specimen no longer on file.

26.04.57. Approved by Army Director of Personnel Services.

09.01.61. Memorandum notes that 2 Port Task Force will be redesignated as 28 Engineering Group, and they wish to continue wearing the current FS.

20.01.61. Letter confirms above entry and states that the FS would be worn by the following:
105 Corps Engineer Regt, RE (TA).
118 Corps Engineer Regt, RE (TA).
Both regiments wished to wear the FS.

07.03.61. Approval granted and specimens subsequently deposited and placed on file (or these were the specimens originally deposited in 1957 which were relocated within the file). These specimens are of the swimming yellow Dolphin on waves, embroidered on felt. Sorry I cannot access my photo of them this evening.

20.06.61. Northern Command wrote to the WO requesting that the ‘Dolphin’ FS not be issued to 28 Engineer Group. They stated that 28 Engineer Group should adopt the FS then worn by 22 Engineer Group. A new FS would then be designed for 22 Engineer Group.

3 Port Task Force/ Port Task Force (Vols)

02.10.68. Included upon the Agenda for the 188th Meeting of the ADC was the proposal to grant a FS to the Port Task Force (Volunteers). This unit had been formed from No3 PTF, TAER, in 1967 vide AO 2/67. This was a ‘dormant’ Formation, the HQ of which was only to be activated.

09.10.68. At the 188th Meeting of the Army Dress Committee a further consolidated list of formation Signs was submitted for consideration of approval: A Dolphin head uppermost entwined around a crusader sword, hilt uppermost, all in yellow outlined in black upon a blue background 2 ¾” deep and 2” wide.

07.11.68. Lt Col SO/TO in C (A) wrote to the Army Dress Committee. No3 PTF became ‘Port Task Force (Volunteers), TAER, in 1967 vide AO 2/67. It continues to be a dormant unit with its component units being under the peace-time command of various other formations. He recommended that these units should wear the RCT TAER FS where appropriate or that of the Regular Army i.e. 17 Port Regt, RCT. He requested that the PTF FS of a Dolphin entwined around a sword should be registered and approved by the ADC and not authorised for wear until the PTF was activated for mobilisation.

05.02.69. At the 190th Meeting of the Army Dress Committee an amended application for a Formation Sign was submitted for consideration of approval:
A Dolphin head uppermost entwined around a crusader sword, hilt uppermost, all in yellow outlined in black upon a blue background 2 ¾” deep and 2” wide.
In peacetime units were to wear either the sign of their parent formation or the RCT TAVR Sponsored Unit FS as already approved.

I hope this helps, Stephen.
Old 06-10-09, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjez View Post
Here is the information I have gleaned about the post-war PTF. This comes directly from Army Dress Committee (ADC) minutes in Kew.

2 Port Task Force/ 28 Engineer Group (TA).

05.04.57. Specimen of Formation Sign (FS) submitted for approval by HQ 2 Port Task Force- TAC, Northfield Gardens, South Shields. Specimen no longer on file.

26.04.57. Approved by Army Director of Personnel Services.

09.01.61. Memorandum notes that 2 Port Task Force will be redesignated as 28 Engineering Group, and they wish to continue wearing the current FS.

20.01.61. Letter confirms above entry and states that the FS would be worn by the following:
105 Corps Engineer Regt, RE (TA).
118 Corps Engineer Regt, RE (TA).
Both regiments wished to wear the FS.

07.03.61. Approval granted and specimens subsequently deposited and placed on file (or these were the specimens originally deposited in 1957 which were relocated within the file). These specimens are of the swimming yellow Dolphin on waves, embroidered on felt. Sorry I cannot access my photo of them this evening.

20.06.61. Northern Command wrote to the WO requesting that the ‘Dolphin’ FS not be issued to 28 Engineer Group. They stated that 28 Engineer Group should adopt the FS then worn by 22 Engineer Group. A new FS would then be designed for 22 Engineer Group.

3 Port Task Force/ Port Task Force (Vols)

02.10.68. Included upon the Agenda for the 188th Meeting of the ADC was the proposal to grant a FS to the Port Task Force (Volunteers). This unit had been formed from No3 PTF, TAER, in 1967 vide AO 2/67. This was a ‘dormant’ Formation, the HQ of which was only to be activated.

09.10.68. At the 188th Meeting of the Army Dress Committee a further consolidated list of formation Signs was submitted for consideration of approval: A Dolphin head uppermost entwined around a crusader sword, hilt uppermost, all in yellow outlined in black upon a blue background 2 ¾” deep and 2” wide.

07.11.68. Lt Col SO/TO in C (A) wrote to the Army Dress Committee. No3 PTF became ‘Port Task Force (Volunteers), TAER, in 1967 vide AO 2/67. It continues to be a dormant unit with its component units being under the peace-time command of various other formations. He recommended that these units should wear the RCT TAER FS where appropriate or that of the Regular Army i.e. 17 Port Regt, RCT. He requested that the PTF FS of a Dolphin entwined around a sword should be registered and approved by the ADC and not authorised for wear until the PTF was activated for mobilisation.

05.02.69. At the 190th Meeting of the Army Dress Committee an amended application for a Formation Sign was submitted for consideration of approval:
A Dolphin head uppermost entwined around a crusader sword, hilt uppermost, all in yellow outlined in black upon a blue background 2 ¾” deep and 2” wide.
In peacetime units were to wear either the sign of their parent formation or the RCT TAVR Sponsored Unit FS as already approved.

I hope this helps, Stephen.
Cheers Stephen, very useful knowledge that will be filed for future reference, thanks

Regards Tony