British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-09-16, 11:03 AM

Default 8th Army SA Signals sign

I have finally added to my collection a formation sign of the South African Signal Corp troops allotted to the British Eight Army. Worsted in gold bullion, I guess it is Italian made. I do not know much about this particular formation sign: was it worn on the field or is it a sort of commemorative insignia? Any photographic evidence of its being worn on uniforms during the war? Thank you in advance for your knowledge!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8th_Army_SA_signals_1.jpg (64.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 8th_Army_SA_signals_2.jpg (64.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 8th_Army_SA_signals_3.jpg (70.6 KB, 11 views)
Old 25-09-16, 12:54 PM

Great badges and difficult to find. My late father was with the SAC Sigs 8th Army and wore badges like these. I do not have a photo of them being worn unfortunately. They tend to be recognised as a badge / sign awarded for excellent / honourable service as opposed to being a formation sign and are peculiar to SA Sigs attached to 8th Army in Italy. Quite often they were hand made in the field by soldiers entitled to wear them and the thread used for the figure 8 is in yellow thread.

Have attached one of the examples I have for comparison.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SA Corps of Signals 8th Army honour flash 1944 - 1945.jpg (45.7 KB, 15 views)
Old 09-10-16, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madziro View Post
Great badges and difficult to find. My late father was with the SAC Sigs 8th Army and wore badges like these. I do not have a photo of them being worn unfortunately. They tend to be recognised as a badge / sign awarded for excellent / honourable service as opposed to being a formation sign and are peculiar to SA Sigs attached to 8th Army in Italy. Quite often they were hand made in the field by soldiers entitled to wear them and the thread used for the figure 8 is in yellow thread.

Have attached one of the examples I have for comparison.
Any idea when they first appeared? Were any locally made by Italians?