British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-09-09, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWEF View Post
Windsors?

Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg surely.
'As English as good old Queen Victoria'
Old 04-10-09, 03:30 AM

Hmmmm,

Well that is the name of Prince Philip's family .. but the Queen is from Saxe-Coburg-Gotha - but people always seem to stop there. The first heiress of the 'Hanovers' was in fact a princess of the House of Stuart who married the Elector of Hanover.

Very Pro Monarchy here!

Besides in the recent family, if Victoria and Albert are classed as 'German', then King George V is half Danish, Elizabeth II is half Scots and Prince Charles would be a mix of German, Scots, Danish and Greek .... but they're all descended from our Saxon English kings, our French Norman invaders - does it really matter in the end? They faithfully serve our country for all their lives.

Now I'll step down off m'soap box and go hide!

+ Anthony

Quote:
Windsors?

Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg surely.
Old 04-10-09, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Child Poverty Action Group?
CPAG = Charles Phillip Arthur George (Windsor)
Old 04-10-09, 09:52 AM

I believe Harry's medals are named "Henry/Harry Wales" Both names are correct, his birth certificate says Henry, but he is called in many official documents Harry.

Tom
Old 05-10-09, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by empiretocommonwealth View Post
Hmmmm,

Well that is the name of Prince Philip's family .. but the Queen is from Saxe-Coburg-Gotha - but people always seem to stop there. The first heiress of the 'Hanovers' was in fact a princess of the House of Stuart who married the Elector of Hanover.

Very Pro Monarchy here!

Besides in the recent family, if Victoria and Albert are classed as 'German', then King George V is half Danish, Elizabeth II is half Scots and Prince Charles would be a mix of German, Scots, Danish and Greek .... but they're all descended from our Saxon English kings, our French Norman invaders - does it really matter in the end? They faithfully serve our country for all their lives.

Now I'll step down off m'soap box and go hide!

+ Anthony
No Anthony dont hide mate.... its all nonsense anyway.... if we all go back that far we are all Vikings... go back further and we are all African... so what... we are where we are and i for one would rather have a smiling Monarch than a bloody scheaming politician.... Just imagine throwing out Her Maj tomorrow.... what would we get? President Pantsdown? President Prescott? .... Well if we did, I'd be reaching into the gun cabinet and manning the barricades matey.....
Old 05-10-09, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by empiretocommonwealth View Post

They faithfully serve our country for all their lives.

And they do it all for free, and live in those big old draughty houses

Don't get me wrong though, like others have said, I would much rather the monarchy than some politician who has lied and cheated his way to the top robbing the public along the way.

Also I think I'm correct in saying that most European Royal families are quite closely related, weren't the Greek Royals imported from northern Europe(Danish/Russian) which I think means that Liz married her cousin, but don't they all!
Lee
Old 29-10-09, 01:51 AM

Hey Cardiffbloke,

Sorry, didn't see reply there.

EXACTLY MY POINT! Does it really matter what someone's roots are? As far as I know she's the Monarch of this country - far preferable to a drooling, politically motivated President who puts HIS views over.

Our monarch is neutral and she has done a brilliant job! But as my father is Irish and my mother English, I can safely say without any prejudice that I prefer the monarchial system of someone who is totally dedicated to the country and not to power.

There ... that got that out of my system!!

+ Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiffbloke View Post
No Anthony dont hide mate.... its all nonsense anyway.... if we all go back that far we are all Vikings... go back further and we are all African... so what... we are where we are and i for one would rather have a smiling Monarch than a bloody scheaming politician.... Just imagine throwing out Her Maj tomorrow.... what would we get? President Pantsdown? President Prescott? .... Well if we did, I'd be reaching into the gun cabinet and manning the barricades matey.....