British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-03-13, 08:38 PM

Default Plastic badge "preservation"

I don't personally collect WW2 plastic badges, but one thing that has occurred to me whilst rummaging through badges at fairs, is the varying condition of these badges (not including the blades). Some appear to be almost "breaking down" for want of a better phrase.

Whilst at the Camden fair today I brought this up with a fellow forum member and I was wondering if there is any way of preserving these badges and bringing them back to life?

Andy
Old 10-03-13, 09:27 PM

Default Plastic preservation

I think keeping plastic badges away from direct sunlight and heat is a good idea, badges that have been worn tend to be warped, only an opinion as I have been keeping my badges this way.

Rob
Old 11-03-13, 12:44 AM

From a pdf by the National Library of Australia on cellulose acetate:
Storing cellulose acetate at low temperature and humidity is the most common and effective way to slow down the chemical mechanisms causing cellulose acetate to deteriorate. To minimise deacetylation, storage temperatures should be as low as possible (preferably below 10 oC or ideally below 0 oC), and a relative humidity (RH) between 20 and 30 %RH should be maintained. Values of relative humidity below 20 %RH should be avoided as this may cause brittleness and shrinkage of film.

Rgds,

Thomas.
Old 11-03-13, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fougasse1940 View Post
Storing cellulose acetate at low temperature and humidity is the most common and effective way to slow down the chemical mechanisms causing cellulose acetate to deteriorate. To minimise deacetylation, storage temperatures should be as low as possible (preferably below 10 oC or ideally below 0 oC), and a relative humidity (RH) between 20 and 30 %RH should be maintained. Values of relative humidity below 20 %RH should be avoided as this may cause brittleness and shrinkage of film.

Rgds,

Thomas.
So we need to keep them cold and damp.....those held in the UK should be fine!
Lee

www.khakicolonel.com
Old 11-03-13, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fougasse1940 View Post

Rgds,

Thomas.
Thats a great bit of information on the storage of WW2 plastic badges Thomas.
As I was born five years before the first batch were manufactured I thought it was due to old age, As I am starting to get warped and a bit brittle. LoL
Regards
Ray Smith.
Old 23-08-13, 05:20 PM

It is a sad fact that economy 'bakelite/plastic' badges of WW2 appear to have a finite life. With great sadness I disposed of my whole and almost complete collection a few years ago - including Army Educational Corps, Royal Artillery (Gun), Royal Ulster Rifles, etc. etc. The most unusual was a unique Hertfordshire Regiment example. The one I thought most under-rated given the small number of badges manufactured was the Army Physical Training Corps. I kept the badges in the dark and learned that however you keep them you must do a condition check at regular intervals. How true that is for cloth insignia too!
Mike
Old 23-08-13, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
The most unusual was a unique Hertfordshire Regiment example.
That I would have loved to have seen.... Do you have an image?

Andy
Old 23-08-13, 08:08 PM

Default Hertfordshire Regiment - WW2 Economy issue

Hello Andy
Please see the attached. Note the 'strange' fastening to reverse - it was as I acquired it. The design may possibly have been a prototype badge not taken into further production.
I am pleased to have once owned it, and hope it has found a good home.
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P3020149.jpg (41.1 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg P3020151.jpg (46.4 KB, 116 views)

Last edited by Mike B; 23-08-13 at 08:13 PM.
Old 23-08-13, 08:21 PM

Thanks Mike

Very nice and very rare! I have only seen one other example and it was lugged north/south. I think it was on the forum somewhere........

Again thanks,

Andy
Old 24-08-13, 04:33 PM

Good info from Australia about preserving plastics. A former colleague of mine in Ottawa, recently retired, spent much of his career researching the preservation of "modern materials", i.e. plastics, rubber, synthetics etc commonly found in museum collections and is an on-going problem. Science and military collections seem to have a lot of them, what with flying helmets and so on. One way to reduce deterioration is the use of "Ageless", an oxygen scavenger which absorbs oxygen, the cause of deterioration of a lot of these materials. These sachets can be obtained from some suppliers, possibly those specializing in conservation products. I've posted a link that should be of interest.
David
http://keepsafe.ca/oxygen-free-displ...gen-absorbers/

Last edited by David Tremain; 25-08-13 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Typo