British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Cavalry and Armoured Units

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-07-08, 07:59 PM

Default 8th NBH

Shouldn't the 8NBH badge be the overseas pattern if the arrangements are to be 1945?

Dwayne

This thread has been copied from the RCAC thread. Prior to Dwayne's post here, there was a discussion of DavidS' WW2 Canadian division cap badge display. The 8 PLNB Hussars question came from the display. Please see the RCAC thread for the images. http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ead.php?t=2391
Bill A

Last edited by Bill A; 07-07-08 at 08:24 PM. Reason: New thread;context set
Old 06-07-08, 08:41 PM

Picky, picky I have one favourite PL Hussars (sans N.B.) version which came from the daughter of an 8th Hussars vet that is just about polished flat. If I ever rebuild this board, I might use both badges, similar to the Seaforths, but when I built this one, I was more interested in the Italian campaign and had intended the badges reflect that (hence the inclusion of the 12th Infantry brigade on that board), rather than NW Europe.
Old 07-07-08, 02:30 AM

David, as I have the info in front of me taken from the 8th PLNB Hussars regimental history, the second model of the badge <<...was made while in England. Copied from a pre-1900 officer's badge and worn by all ranks during the war. It replaced the 1920 designed badge (worn 1921-1942) which was never liked in the Regiment. The open VIII is distinctive of this badge>>.

Jo
Old 07-07-08, 02:55 AM

Default re 8th PLH

Jo, can you post details of when that badge was adopted & who the maker was? Merci beaucoup.
Old 07-07-08, 12:10 PM

Well David sorry to say I can't help you there. But, I can only deduct from what I have read in the history(1 book if I remember right). They arrived in Great-Britain in late Oct.-early Nov. 1941 and pictures in the larger of the two books the Off's and Or's are seen wearing the new badge. As to the maker's name, well our fellow members of this forum can maybe tell us about the ordering and purchasing system used at that time by British and Canadian units (my personal bug). The maker could be (as usual) J.R.Gaunt.
I have added a nice link to the rcaca showing the badges and some info.

Regards
Jo

http://www.rcaca.org/includes/r-PLNBH.asp