British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > Infantry and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-05-08, 10:25 AM

Thumbs up Australian Special Air Service Regiment hat badge

Australian Special Air Service Regiment (SASR) hat badge - current issue

Mick
Old 05-05-08, 10:50 AM

Mick,

SASR have worn the a/a badge as shown since the Regiment was created in Sep 1964.

Prior to that they were 1st SAS Coy of the Royal Australian Regiment and wore the RAR badge on the Maroon Beret. The initial badge worn was the RA Inf badge

Cheers
Chris
Old 05-05-08, 10:54 AM

Thanks Chris!

I believe that in the 1960s, some wore a brass UK SAS badge. I have a mate who has a Vietnam War period SAS beret with badge and it has a brass badge with a slider in it. He got it from a SAS Vietnam Vet.

Mick
Old 05-05-08, 12:20 PM

Mick,
We wore the a/a badge in Vietnam. I have seen the brass badge but it was from the UK and not an official badge. If he did wear it, it was a personal thing. See this thread for the background on the introduction of the badge into the Regiment and an instance where a mate and I wore the brass badge for a very short period in the 80's - had to polish the damn thing!! http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ead.php?t=1447.

The beret worn in Vietnam was Australian made with a sandier colour than the Brit beret and a sandy coloured cloth trim around the headband. In the mid 70's we obtained the darker British beret with the black leather trim

Cheers
Chris
Old 05-05-08, 07:52 PM

Hi Chris,

It may well have been a private purchase/unofficial badge. I'll ask my mate and see if he can send me a picture of that beret and badge.

Mick