British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-08-10, 07:18 PM

Default Canadian Forces 'Nursing badge'??

Hi,
I have seen a number of these badges over the years for sale and each time it has been said to be Canadian Armed Forces nursing badge. There are variations including a very large bullion blazer badge, a metal badge on blue cloth backing, a Lurex wire badge and smaller enamelled metal badge with safety pin catch on back.

As far as my research goes the nursing services of the Canadian Forces have always used Canadian medical badges (either RCAMC or CFMS, etc). I have yet to identify if these badges are in fact military or whether they are from some other government department. They are however definately Canadian.

Is there a knowledgable person out there that can shed more light on these.

Regards
Steven
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FIL12952.JPG (12.0 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg FIL17586.JPG (20.0 KB, 93 views)
Old 07-09-10, 12:46 PM

It's a new one to me but then I am no longer familiar with current badges. The backing to the first image suggests Air Force and I will send these to someone who may know - unless Bill or Ed reply first.
Clive
Old 07-09-10, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

This is a new one to me as well. No idea who it is.
Old 07-09-10, 05:48 PM

Thanks Clive,
I believe the Canadian Airforce medical personel wear same insignia as Canadian army and Navy although with the particular services uniform, so I have doubts as to whether this is Airforce. Maybe your contact will be able to positively idebtify the insignia.

Thanks for the asistance
Steven
Old 19-01-12, 01:40 PM

Still not found any concrete evidence to these badges, but my thinking is now along the lines of an ambulance or medical rescue service. The design is similar to UK ambulance service badges. Crown says commonwealth, caduceus is medically related. Compass star says we go anywhere and the spray of maple leaves (or are they oak leaves) would suggest Canada.

Steven
Old 19-01-12, 02:16 PM

I agree with Steven. The style is close to recent/current Canadian Forces stuff, but that would be no coincidence - like the security guards who wear a badge & uniform as close to 'real' police as they can get without getting done for impersonating an officer.

And that's not a dig at EMS types - wonderful people. But many do wear insignia that look quite like those of other organizations and being mistaken for CF medics would be a great compliment here in Canada! And I don't believe that the Government of Canada has sole use of the crown, though it is very official looking.

So, although I claim no expertise in this area, my money's on some civilian Emergency Medical Service