British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-03-08, 05:34 PM

Default Cameronians titles

I've posted this tread in other forums ages ago, but with little effect. Hopefully some of you can help me here.

In my collection I have three different styles of CAMERONIANS cloth titles. The one I know was issued during the 39-45 War is the black-on-green style, as evidenced from collections and period photos. I also have two other styles: a white-on-red and a white-on-green. All three types in my collection are size-backed.

Any information on these? Were the white-lettered ones postwar/ACF/etc??

Dean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3-25-2008 1;32;49 PM.jpg (54.0 KB, 14 views)
Old 27-03-08, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erracht View Post
I've posted this tread in other forums ages ago, but with little effect. Hopefully some of you can help me here.

In my collection I have three different styles of CAMERONIANS cloth titles. The one I know was issued during the 39-45 War is the black-on-green style, as evidenced from collections and period photos. I also have two other styles: a white-on-red and a white-on-green. All three types in my collection are size-backed.

Any information on these? Were the white-lettered ones postwar/ACF/etc??

Dean
I do not know for sure but it would not surprise me if the red on white was ACF as they formed the last remnants of this once famous regiment that went into suspended animation rather than disbandment in 1968 until about 15 years ago when they were finally removed from the Army List (along with the York&Lancs who did the same thing at the same time). Another theory is based on the well documented fact that the 1st and 2nd battalions were never resigned to one another with only the 2nd battalion seeing themselves as Rifles (and hence perhaps Black on Green) with the first battalion firmly seeing themselves as Cameronians (Covenanters) only.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 27-03-08 at 10:24 AM.
Old 27-03-08, 02:11 PM

Thanks for that Toby - I've been leaning towards ACF myself, will start looking deeper there. The white-on-red title has been removed from a uniform at some point, so that would be some evidence (although not much) of it having been worn.

Interesting theory on the 1st / 2nd Bns, I had not considered that one (and a good idea to look into as well).

During the War, the 6th, 7th, & 9th Bns all wore the black-on-green title, switching at some point before being disbanding (sometime in early/mid 1945) to the Douglas tartan diamond. The 2nd Bn was wearing a Douglas tartan square earlier on in lieu of titles (1943/44?)

Dean
Old 27-03-08, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erracht View Post
Thanks for that Toby - I've been leaning towards ACF myself, will start looking deeper there. The white-on-red title has been removed from a uniform at some point, so that would be some evidence (although not much) of it having been worn.

Interesting theory on the 1st / 2nd Bns, I had not considered that one (and a good idea to look into as well).

During the War, the 6th, 7th, & 9th Bns all wore the black-on-green title, switching at some point before being disbanding (sometime in early/mid 1945) to the Douglas tartan diamond. The 2nd Bn was wearing a Douglas tartan square earlier on in lieu of titles (1943/44?)

Dean

Dean, I believe that the two regular battalions had become more close by WW2 but I understand that each still respectively referred to themselves as 'the Cameronians' (1st Bn - 26th Foot) and 'the Scottish Rifles' (2nd Bn - 90th Foot). This rivalry was so intense that it would not surprise me if they wore differing titles in the 1950s. By 1960 almost all 2nd Bns had been disbanded and any differences would almost certainly have died out apart from those approved for the ACF.
Old 16-04-08, 07:14 PM

I havent a clue,but id like to add something to this thread.Friend and fellow collector bought a pair of a/a Cameronian titles(very similar design to the first pattern of DERR titles).Anybody got any ideas on them.
Old 18-04-08, 07:05 PM

Having found some pictures of collections which were sent to me along time ago, I am posting a picture of a Cameronians collection.
P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF6285.jpg (84.7 KB, 58 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 18-04-08, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
Having found some pictures of collections which were sent to me along time ago, I am posting a picture of a Cameronians collection.
P.B.
Notice 2 types of shoulder title, 'SR' and 'CAMERONIANS'.

Interestingly the new 1st Battalion of the Royal Regt of Scotland (Royal Scots Borderers) have adopted a Black Hackle for their Tam O Shanters. The story goes that of the 2 predecessor regiments, neither the Royal Scots (1st Foot) nor the KOSB (25th Foot) had a history of wearing a hackle, or a significant colour to choose for it. 'Someone' suggested using the Black Hackle of the old Cameronians who from their position of seniority (26th Foot) would have taken their place in this battalion had the regiment still existed at the time of the merger. A nice thought.
Old 22-04-08, 06:04 PM

Surely the Cameronians would have been 2 SCOTS as the RS were 1st of foot and the KOSB 25th. so even had they still been extant they would have been 3rd in seniority.
Old 22-04-08, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

I have it from a ex-KOSB officer that when the Cameronians disbanded, their recruiting area, regtl interests etc were passed to them. It then made sense for the new Bn to use the old black hackle as neither the KOSB or RScots had one to draw on.

Alan