British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Sweetheart, Veteran, Lapel Badges and Challenge Coins

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-01-08, 09:29 PM

Default Newfoundland Overseas Forestry Unit Badge

I thought this might be of interest to some of you...

I've shown this to a couple people who tell me it's an original example, but I'm no expert on things Newfoundland.

A WWII button-hole badge, as worn by members of the small Newfoundland Overseas Forestry Unit.

The reverse has the Gaunt maker's mark on the bronze attachment fitting.

I look forward to your comments.

Cheers,

Adam

PS. I realize this isn't strictly Canadian, but hope the Newfoundlanders here will forgive me... It seemed the best category to post in...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NOFU.jpg (97.6 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg NOFU rev.jpg (78.4 KB, 33 views)
Old 21-01-08, 10:59 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Default Nofu

Nice lapel pin Adam, It is indeed an authentic piece, I searched for about 20 years to get mine, I am posting a few thumb nails here for your perusal, One is an even rarer (extremely rare) shoulder title that the NOFU wore as Newfoundland Home Guard (3rd Bn. Inverness),This one shown was made up for the Assn. and is also rare but not authentic. I'm still looking. One other is the extremely rare badge of the Catholic Cadet Corps of Newfoundland,which amalgamated with the Canadian Cadet Corps after Confederation. and the other is the not so rare Rangers ,The Newfoundland federal ( I suppose seeing we weren't a provine) police which amalgamated with the RCMP after confederation. and the last one is for everyone, because I want to know what it is, It's a silver plated button about one inch made by MS & JD, and the word PLATED in full, The front says Canadian British Militia and it has a Victoria crown,The overlay is a very delicate copper.I may have to ask Mr. Broker about this one. Ray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NOFU.jpg (65.8 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg CCC.jpg (7.2 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Rangers.jpg (15.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg question.jpg (3.4 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by boots and saddles; 22-01-08 at 03:15 AM.
Old 22-01-08, 12:53 PM

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your reply and for confirmation that my badge is indeed correct...that's good news.

Nice to see those rare Newfounland badges of yours, I don't ever remember seeing examples of the first two before.

As for the button, it seems to me I've encountered something similar before...but can't recall for certain. Is it possible to get a better photo?

Cheers,

Adam
Old 06-02-08, 03:18 AM

Default NFLD Button

Can't get it for you until I get home Adam. I'm in Toronto at my Daughters ,doing a rec-room and will be another 4-5 days. Ray
Old 14-02-08, 02:36 AM

Default strange button

Here we are again Adam,trying for better picture but I got my doubts,I am not a scanner expert and can't seem to get a better one. Ray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg but.jpg (3.3 KB, 32 views)
Old 14-02-08, 02:03 PM

Interesting button. I don't remember seeing one before. The VR cypher suggests 1840s-1900ish, but I am unsure as to exact dates or who would have worn this button.

I have a "Milice Canadienne" for the Lower Canada Militia, with a George IV cypher used circa 1820s and the design is similar.

Hopefully someone can help ID yours...
Old 24-03-14, 07:49 PM

Hi Adam,

I'm new to the forum and a search brought me to your attractive lapel pin.

My great-grandfather served in the Newfoundland Overseas Forestry Unit until his death on December 7, 1941 (yes, the Day of Infamy). I was quite surprised last year to come across a similar pin at a collector fair last year, so I bought it and gave it to my father.

I've read thru my research that the unit wore Battle Dress while on duty in Scotland, but I had no idea what the shoulder title looked like until I saw Ray's pictures.

Thanks to all of you for the pleasant surprise!

Mark