British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-12-17, 10:28 AM

Default The Bedfordshire Regiment

The Bedfs & Herts Regt amalgamated with the Essex Regt in 1958. They formed the 3rd East Anglian Regt. The 5th Battalion resumed the title The Bedfordshire Regt. Adopting this badge.KK2383.
The Badge was not sealed until Jan 1960.
In 1961 The 5th Bedfs amalgamated with the 1st Herts to form a 'new' Bedfs & Herts Regiment. A new badge was adopted. KK2385.

In short KK2383 was a short lived badge c 1958 to 1961. Possibly a little longer with cadet units who would also rebadge with KK2385.

I have two examples of KK2383. One m/m JR GAUNT LONDON. The other JR GAUNT B'HAM. I have searched the Forum trying to find the earliest date for the introduction of the B'HAM mark. Early to mid 60's seems to be the consensus of opinion. I am struggling to accept the B'HAM marked one as genuine. The two badges are different. The London one is recessed behind the title scroll and is a more detailed strike. I have several of the Later Bedfs & Herts KK2385 badges and they are all marked London.

Why would Gaunt manufacture two versions of a badge within such a short time period ? and use two maker marks ? and then revert to the LONDON mark on the badge that replaced it.

Graham.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1341.jpg (89.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1343.jpg (86.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1344 (2).jpg (26.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1346.jpg (41.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3552.jpg (84.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3549.jpg (84.9 KB, 14 views)
Old 29-12-17, 01:54 PM

Graham, I thought the 1958-61 pattern continued to be worn by the cadets of Bedford Modern School after the 1st Battalion, Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Regiment (TA) was formed in 1961. That might account for the Gaunt Birmingham marks.
Old 29-12-17, 03:20 PM

A lot of badges continued to be worn by cadets and TA regts long after the regular regt had gone.
The York and Lancs,i think is one that has been identified as such and is marked Gaunt Bham.
Old 29-12-17, 05:21 PM

Thanks for the replies.
I think if you wanted one of these to represent the 58 to 61 time period then one marked London would be the way to go.
Cadets must be the answer to the later B'HAM marked badge. I assume the ACF in bedfordshire adopted the 'new' Bedfs & Herts badge KK2385. They certainly did in Hertfordshire. JD Sainsbury shows a pic of it being worn in 1970 by cadets in Hitchin [Herts]. I have not managed to find any pics of Cadets of the ACF in Bedfordshire from 1958 through the sixties.

Graham.