British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-01-18, 11:27 AM

Default Parachute Badge with wings- at or from ?

I purchased an Army Book 64 at the weekend to a RA TA soldier who had qualified for the Parachute Badge with wings.The seller was telling someone that the soldier had done his training in Hastings ( see photo 3 ) but I was not aware of any parachute training being done in that location and then it occurred to me, the training was presumably done from a Hastings Aircraft ?

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0983.jpg (114.7 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0984.jpg (90.6 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0985.jpg (61.7 KB, 49 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 18-01-18, 11:37 AM

Handley Page made an aircraft the Hastings which was a troop transport... possible plane used?
Old 18-01-18, 12:18 PM

" are the paras still in the back or have they jumped out "
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hastings.jpg (49.4 KB, 66 views)
Old 18-01-18, 12:31 PM

Flew from Singapore to Thailand in one in 1966. The RAF guys I was drinking with the night before just laughed when I told them, but it got me there! Came back six months later in a Beverly.
Old 18-01-18, 01:14 PM

Flew in a Hastings from RAF Scampton in 1977 with the ATC. That very Hastings went into the Museum at Cosford. I think it is still there.

Graham.
Old 18-01-18, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post
I purchased an Army Book 64 at the weekend to a RA TA soldier who had qualified for the Parachute Badge with wings.The seller was telling someone that the soldier had done his training in Hastings ( see photo 3 ) but I was not aware of any parachute training being done in that location and then it occurred to me, the training was presumably done from a Hastings Aircraft ?

P.B.
As there were different methods of exiting the various aircraft, I would agree that 'Hastings Trained' means that the soldier has been trained on the parachute drills for the Hastings Aircraft.

Marc
Old 18-01-18, 05:17 PM

Exiting the Hastings was always a challenge. Very frequently the jumper's helmet hit the side of the fuselage just behind the door. RAF grey paint on your helmet was a badge of honour and service in the same way as a broken nose was a give away from having "rung the bell" with a mistimed exit from the boom of a Beverley.

Eddie
Old 18-01-18, 05:19 PM

Default Little Baldon

It still makes me shudder - I had two friends (both 95 Cdo Lt Regt RA) on a Basic Para Course at No 1 PTS, RAF Abingdon at the time of this crash, but not on the Hastings that crashed. It must have been appalling - and many of those killed had no real need to be on the aircraft at all (multiple RAF PJIs etc. Mike

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Baldon_air_crash
Old 02-02-18, 08:32 AM

Any landing that you can simply walk away from, is, without any doubt whatsoever, a good one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwash View Post
" are the paras still in the back or have they jumped out "
Old 02-02-18, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Any landing that you can simply walk away from, is, without any doubt whatsoever, a good one!
You have been reading too many accounts by that famous WW2 aviator 'Pilot Officer Percy Prune'!

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pi...w=1280&bih=893
Old 02-02-18, 04:01 PM

Very nice acquisition Peter.
Tragic to read of these training accidents Mike - a terrible waste.
Mike
Old 02-02-18, 10:32 PM

The AB64 shows him to have been with “33 Para Regt” which was 33 Parachute Light Regiment RA, It existed from 1953 and became 7 Para Regt RHA in 1961. Nice find.

“Hastings trained” probably refers to the fact that the Hastings was the first British troop carrier with both port and starboard troop doors, which allowed simualtaneous sticks, which needed different training from a single door single stick aircraft.