British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-04-11, 11:33 AM

Default This mornings purchases, help please

Hi
Picked up these badges this morning. I feel fairly confident the Tanks Corps badges are ok but am not sure about the Notts & Derby with the type of slider and England on it. The plastic Tank Corps is made by A Stanley's in Walsall so am guessing it's WW2 Economy badge?
I am also unsure as to whether the other badge with lugs is military at all but they were all together so thought I would post on here to see if anyone can advise.
Would welcome any opinions or help.

Thanks

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RTC1.jpg (36.3 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg RTC2.jpg (31.0 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg RTC3.jpg (37.8 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg RTC4.jpg (35.8 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg NOTTS1.jpg (38.8 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg NOTTS2.jpg (36.6 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg ARM1.jpg (31.5 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg ARM2.jpg (29.8 KB, 53 views)
Old 17-04-11, 12:03 PM
Badge Guru

I believe everything to be genuine.

Perhaps the Notts and Derby regiment owners surname was England?

The badge you cannot identify is the so called "bit badge" worn by saddle tree and harness makers.

The Tank Regiment plastic is a lot harder to find than the RAC counterpart. I'm sorry that I dont have an up to date value to give you on one of those. Someone two years ago suggested 40 pounds?
Old 17-04-11, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba Jabba View Post
I believe everything to be genuine.

Perhaps the Notts and Derby regiment owners surname was England?

The badge you cannot identify is the so called "bit badge" worn by saddle tree and harness makers.

The Tank Regiment plastic is a lot harder to find than the RAC counterpart. I'm sorry that I dont have an up to date value to give you on one of those. Someone two years ago suggested 40 pounds?
Hi
Thanks for the info, it's very much appreciated, it has put a smile on my face with plastic Tank Corps as it's the one I really wanted and the lady selling wouldn't split them so I had to pay for all 4 badges which cost me £18 the lot which is a lot at the car boot if they turned out to be duds.
It was worth getting up after all.

Cheers

Rob
Old 17-04-11, 12:26 PM
Peter J

I don't think I have an 'England' MM badge to offer for comparison, perhaps other members might be able to help.

Here is the one shown in the forum database: http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/mak...ks/england.htm

JJ may well have a point about the owner's name, though.

PJ
Old 17-04-11, 12:29 PM
Badge Guru

The markings appears to be too uniform to of been struck by a letter punch. A manufacturer I have yet to identify perhaps? Someone here may know.

Your bit badge is missing two lugs. It is wll worth getting Dave to repair this badge. I have seen them at all sorts prices but most cavalry collectors will want to own at least one example.
Old 17-04-11, 12:35 PM

Hi PJ
It was the style of the slider I was unsure of as I'd not seen one like that before. It looks to be stamped England rather than engraved so I am totally unsure what this means.

Just glad the badges are ok and I made no mistakes today.

Cheers

Rob
Old 17-04-11, 12:38 PM

England on the badge is not a surname, have a number of badges with ENGLAND sliders will post photos some latter date
Old 17-04-11, 12:42 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffrocks View Post
I am totally unsure what this means.
Point taken, Rob. Don't you just love collecting?

What is the join between the slider and the badge like... does it look okay?

Peter.
Old 17-04-11, 12:44 PM

Quote:
The markings appears to be too uniform to of been struck by a letter punch. A manufacturer I have yet to identify perhaps? Someone here may know.

Your bit badge is missing two lugs. It is wll worth getting Dave to repair this badge. I have seen them at all sorts prices but most cavalry collectors will want to own at least one example.
Hi
What sort of rough value would you put on it. I think I will send it to Dave but I am putting togther a few that need his magic touch.

Rob
Old 17-04-11, 12:49 PM
Badge Guru

It is a badge that some people rate whilst others do not. I've paid 50p for that badge and on another occassion I've paid £40. Both were purchased from militaria dealers. So somewhere in the middle? There are a few different variations to colect. I have one with the round loops like yours and one with D lugs. I am sure I have one with steel lugs too. The badge was later replaced by a cloth badge with even more variations....... There are trade badge collectors here who have far more expertise on this topic than I.

As I am sure you are aware putting a price on a badge is very difficult because we have no price guides to work with. One day a dealer might decide to charge X, or several keen bidders at auction may bid up to X. Either could set the bar for a new price for a badge. What I have learnt, in my opinion, is that just because it says a badge is sold, it does always not mean that is the case. A lesson I think some people need to ponder before they make the the "how much" threads on this forum.

Last edited by Jibba Jabba; 17-04-11 at 01:04 PM.
Old 17-04-11, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J View Post
Point taken, Rob. Don't you just love collecting?

What is the join between the slider and the badge like... does it look okay?

Peter.
Hi Peter
I have put some more pics on which I hope will help. To me it doesn't lookmlike it's been messed with and has always been attached, but am happy to be corrected\if wrong.

Thanks

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NOTTS3.jpg (33.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg NOTTS4.jpg (35.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg NOTTS5.jpg (31.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg NOTTS6.jpg (26.7 KB, 21 views)
Old 17-04-11, 01:01 PM

Quote:
It is a badge that some people rate whilst others do not. I've paid 50p for that badge and on another occassion I've paid £40. Both were purchased from militaria dealers. So somewhere in the middle? There are a few different variations to colect. I have one with the round loops like yours and one with D lugs. I am sure I have one with steel lugs too. The badge was later replaced by a cloth badge with even more variations.......

As I am sure you are aware putting a price on a badge is very difficult because we have no price guides to work with. One day a dealer might decide to charge X, or several keen bidders at auction may bid up to X. Either could set the bar for a new price for a badge. What I have learnt about each case is that just because it says a badge is sold it does not mean it has sold. A lesson I think some people need to ponder before they make the the "how much!" threads on this forum.
Hi
I know what you mean about prices, only worth what someone is willing to pay. I only ask as I love the collecting and try to pay between £2 - £5 per badge so if I make a mistake it doesn't prove to be too costly and it's nice to know sometimes if you've had a good deal.

Cheers

Rob
Old 17-04-11, 01:08 PM
Peter J

Rob,

In my opinion (for what it's worth) the slider looks fine, mate.

Peter.
Old 17-04-11, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J View Post
Rob,

In my opinion (for what it's worth) the slider looks fine, mate.

Peter.
Hi Peter
Thanks for your ok, much appreciated.

Rob
Old 17-04-11, 06:39 PM

Some examples of the Saddler and Harness Maker:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=23155