British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Arab Nations

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-06-11, 03:58 AM

Default Palestine Gendarmerie

Hi all, First off I want to say thank you for taking the time to read my first post here, you guys are always helpful.

Anyways, I have a picture of my Great Uncle and I can not for the life of me place his insignia. It appears to me to be a lancer division, but the insignia is off a little. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jon

Old 10-06-11, 07:14 PM

Hello Jon,
The badges don't look British. Where was your Great Uncle born?
Cheers, Tinto
Old 10-06-11, 09:37 PM
Banned

The astrakhan headdress suggests the Balkans to me. The badge is imperial (a crown) so it could be Romania, Serbia, Croatia, Montenegro, Hungary or a few lesser monarchies in that region. Certainly not British or modern European. Regards. David
Old 11-06-11, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodymyster View Post
Hi all, First off I want to say thank you for taking the time to read my first post here, you guys are always helpful.

Anyways, I have a picture of my Great Uncle and I can not for the life of me place his insignia. It appears to me to be a lancer division, but the insignia is off a little. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Jon.

Hi Jon,

Although this is not my field, I believe that your man is wearing the uniform of the Mounted division of the Palestine Gendarmerie., also if you take a good look at his medals, you can quite clearly see that he is wearing a Great War trio.

I hope this helps,

Best regards,

Zob.

P.s., Excellent photograph!

Last edited by zob; 11-06-11 at 12:29 AM. Reason: P.s., added.
Old 11-06-11, 01:03 AM

Not much on the web, but that looks like it might be a good call Zob! Will be interesting to see what further info turns up. Regards, Paul.
Old 11-06-11, 03:44 AM

That side of the Family are all English, so I assumed he was wearing a British uniform. And like others have said, he is wearing the three ww1 ribbons and a 5 button British tunic so only the headwear and insignia are out of place. I dont know his date of birth, but I do know his sister was born in 1897.
Old 11-06-11, 05:35 AM

You guys are great. I started looking into Palestine Gendarmerie, and found what I was looking for. The hat is a kolpak, the insignia is from the Palestine Gendarmerie, and his uniform with the tunic, sam brown belt, and that bandoleer belt all match their unifrom.

Thanks so much

I found this pic on google, and it matches his.

Old 11-06-11, 08:07 AM
Banned

I certainly missed identifying this one ! I couldn't imagine an astrakhan outside the Balkans - especially in a hot climate like Palestine. However, it only goes to prove that life is a continual learning curve and thank goodness that it is. A superb photograph for family heritage. David
Old 11-06-11, 02:00 PM

Similar uniform of later force on this page- http://www.rothwell.force9.co.uk/trans-jo1.htm It might be worth re naming this thread or starting another one asking for info on this unit, might get more attention then, Regards, Paul.
Old 12-06-11, 05:06 AM

Now I have spent the past few days doing nothing but digging for info on this unit. Turns out that alot of RIC Chaps from Ireland left to join the Palestine Gendarmerie when their police force was disbanded in 1922. After inquiring on other forums, I have confirmed that he served both in Ireland as an RIC constable and in Palestine as a PG. Now I Just need to dig for his service record during the war to uncover what unit he fought in. Any ideas on how to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated. I now know his RIC and PG record numbers, but I do not believe these will help me since they were given to him after the war.
Old 12-06-11, 11:06 AM

The Great War Forum is chock full of eager beavers who love nothing more than the first 2 letters of someone's surname to be able to give you his full record and the name of his dog!!
http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/fo...ex.php?act=idx
http://www.1914-1918.net/grandad/grandad.htm (this is to research individual soldiers and is VERY helpful)

Last edited by Lampwick; 12-06-11 at 11:12 AM.
Old 19-06-11, 01:19 PM

Default Palestine Gendarmerie

Kolpak badge conforms to #1241 in British Colonial Badges - Renfrew, as - Palestine Gendarmerie Mounted Troop Cap Badge 1922 - 1926 in white metal.
Old 29-06-11, 07:34 PM

Sounds like your relative may of been a RIC Auxiliary! Very, very interesting!

Many from this unit went to Palestine after the truce was signed in Ireland in 1922, and joined the Palestine Police. The men for the 'Auxies' were recruited from former WW1 officers and were the first true anti-terrorist police in the world.

These men are a source of great interest to me, very, very brave people.

Dave
Old 29-06-11, 08:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mule-73k View Post
Sounds like your relative may of been a RIC Auxiliary! Very, very interesting!

Many from this unit went to Palestine after the truce was signed in Ireland in 1922, and joined the Palestine Police. The men for the 'Auxies' were recruited from former WW1 officers and were the first true anti-terrorist police in the world.

These men are a source of great interest to me, very, very brave people.

Dave
Don't forget that the former Auxies couldn't stay in Ireland (or anywhere near) for fear of retribution by the new regime extremists so a similar posting on the other side of the world ticked several boxes. Indeed, former Auxies received preferential treatment when recruiting for the PG took place. Also, there were anti-terrorist police working from Scotland Yard thirty years before the Palestine Gendarmerie was established, so they were not the first. Some valuable information in this thread. David
Old 30-06-11, 09:15 AM

You probably need a copy of Tudor's Toughs by Ernest McCall which has a lot of detail on individual ADRIC men. If you give me his name I'll see what I can find.

Eddie