British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-09-15, 10:27 PM

Default Cloth Badge Backings

Hi Guys,

I was looking through a few reference books I have earlier and noticed the large amount of cap / beret / arm badges with cloth backing on them.

I was wondering if there was a pictorial reference for them? I have the Badge Backing and Special Embellishments book but can't find much with pictures in.

It had crossed my mind to gauge making a little guide similar to my cloth cap badge booklet.

Would there be any interest in this or is there already a guide on this subject?

Would appreciate your answers and thoughts,

Regards, Bill
Old 02-09-15, 07:21 AM

Sounds good - it's not a pictorial, but G L D Alderton'ds Cap Badges of The British Army 1939-45" has a 5 or 6 page list of badge backings.
Only images I can supply are of a post war Leicestershire Regiment & a post war Middlesex Regiment beret badge backing - when it arrives & if it's genuine.....

1970's vintage RRF St Georges roses & Minden roses if you're doing embellishments, but that's about it.
Old 02-09-15, 07:44 AM

Hi Leigh,

If I was to start another project it would probably just be badge backings (cap / beret and arm).

I have a few on staybrite badges but would need quite a bit of help as I did for the cloth badge booklet.

I'll certainly have a look for the book you mentioned and maybe make a start from there.

Thanks for the interest,

Bill
Old 02-09-15, 10:09 AM

Sounds like a good idea, with a section on unofficial badge backings as well as the officially authorised ones.

Marc
Old 02-09-15, 10:59 AM

Not great quality photos at moment but Royal Inis Fus officer's caubeen (the one with the balding hackle) & R Innis Fus officer's beret set up as a caubeen & with the "wrong side" collar badge:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R Innis Fus Caubeen (2).jpg (55.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg R Innis Fus Beret (2).jpg (81.9 KB, 23 views)
Old 02-09-15, 11:05 AM

R Leicester's beret (1952 dated):
Old 02-09-15, 11:26 AM

ATS badge backing:
Old 02-09-15, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdrop 68 View Post
Hi Guys,

I was looking through a few reference books I have earlier and noticed the large amount of cap / beret / arm badges with cloth backing on them.

I was wondering if there was a pictorial reference for them? I have the Badge Backing and Special Embellishments book but can't find much with pictures in.

It had crossed my mind to gauge making a little guide similar to my cloth cap badge booklet.

Would there be any interest in this or is there already a guide on this subject?

Would appreciate your answers and thoughts,

Regards, Bill
Bill sounds a good idea to me, haven't seen a book on that subject only as you say BB&SE, I've a good few original Middlesex Regt backing,s you can use if required

Gerard
Old 02-09-15, 11:51 AM

Be handy to compare your Middlesex Regt backings with mine when the beret arrives.
It's come from the same source as a Middlesex Regt cap I got, but the beret has an OSD cap badge attached (or old OSD collar).
Old 02-09-15, 12:04 PM

Leigh,
No problem, let's know when you have it, I'd say it would be the OSD collar in the beret

Gerard
Old 02-09-15, 12:42 PM

This'll be the cap or the collar with scroll as per the cap. The vendor tells me it is OSD rather than any other metal.
Old 02-09-15, 12:48 PM

I take it that "badge backings" don't include the Black Watch tartan swatch worn with red hackle on an AAC beret.....?
Old 02-09-15, 01:04 PM

Sounds like an interesting project, might even help identify the backing in the attached photo which has always been a mystery to me.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg badge backing.jpg (15.4 KB, 31 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 02-09-15, 02:23 PM

Bill, great idea, and long overdue. I don't have any badges with backings on them unfortunately, but as before I'm willing to look over it for you as another pair of eyes.

David
Old 02-09-15, 07:51 PM

Thanks for the positive comments folks.

If I was to go ahead with this, do you think colour graphics or actual photos would be better? Or both?? Do you think a pic of backing and one with badge on?

I am starting to get a good feeling about this project and would like to ask your opinions as to what you, as collectors, would want to see in this guide.

Any and all comments are welcome. Once I get an idea of how to move forward, I'll put some graphics together as examples.

Thanks again for your support.

Bill