British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Arab Nations

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-02-12, 10:45 AM

Default Palestine Gendamerie

I have just been fortunate enough to win this 1922 Gale and Polden Christmas card of the British Palestine Gendamerie. This is the second of two organisations to exist side by side and share the same basic name. The British PG was formed largely from ex members of the RIC. It remained in existence until 1926 when it was disbanded.

The uniforms illustrated here were thus very short lived and I have never seen any other contemporary colour representation of them. Given that the card was made to order for the unit and in light of Gale and Polden's reputation for accuracy I think it can be taken as a true image of the unit in it's very early days.

Interesting points include the RCMP lemon-squeezer pattern hat with a dark green pugree showing one red fold at the top; the Sgt's arm badge worn on dark green chevron on a red background and the shoulder chains worn by the mounted man on the right. The low slung revolver is a reflection of the unit's RIC Auxiliary Division roots.

The real puzzle is the red over green arm band worn on the left sleeve of the chap on the right. Has anyone any idea what it represents?

Enjoy

Eddie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pal Gen 1 700.jpg (80.5 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg Pal Gen 2 700.jpg (30.5 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg Pal Gen 2a 700.jpg (89.2 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg Pal Gen 2b 700.jpg (86.9 KB, 70 views)
Old 09-02-12, 05:49 PM

Hello Eddie, Any time I see those words Palestine Gendarmerie, I'm reminded of how a butcher can spoil your day!, I found the badge in a pile of odds and sods, turned it over and ....................Regards, David J.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Palestine Gendarmerie.jpg (24.5 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Palestine Gendarmerie rear..jpg (16.0 KB, 75 views)
Old 10-02-12, 06:58 AM

Default cap or collar?

OOPS.....Eddie, I've just noticed that my badge is not the same as the one on your card............. Is mine a collar badge?.....Regards, DJ.
Old 10-02-12, 09:01 AM

It's a cap badge - the "British" on the front of the card is - I think - an aberration.

In addition I wouldn't let the slider worry me over much - it looks like a contemporary modification. In any case Dave C can make it like new for you. I'd be glad to give it a home.

Eddie
Old 20-03-12, 11:12 AM

I've just had an opportunity to examine a period Palestine Gendarmerie Sgt's tunic. The chevrons are worn on the right cuff and inverted as per RIC/RUC. The sleeve badge is identical to the cap badge with three lugs. Buttons black horn.
Eddie
Old 20-03-12, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Parks View Post
It's a cap badge - the "British" on the front of the card is - I think - an aberration.

In addition I wouldn't let the slider worry me over much - it looks like a contemporary modification. In any case Dave C can make it like new for you. I'd be glad to give it a home.

Eddie
I believe that the formal title was "The British Section of the Palestine Gendarmerie" also referred to in contemporary documents as the British Palestine Gendarmerie. Hence the image on the front of the card.
Old 12-08-15, 06:36 AM

Some nice info & photos here:http://irishconstabulary.com/topic/1...Higgins?page=1
Old 12-08-15, 08:33 AM

Those are really nice, a wonderful reference. But I still can't decide who wore the cap badge with the crossed lances?

And the badge seen on the Kalpacs? looks to be embroidered or mounted on a cloth patch??

Eddie
Old 12-08-15, 10:48 AM

Part way down the first page of the thread the crossed lances badge is noted as PG 1921 - 26 & the badge without lances as the British section of the PG 1922 - 26.
The badge on the kalpac appears to be embroidered on cloth - perhaps bullion?
Old 20-08-15, 08:30 PM

A photo from the collection of two Palestine Gendararmie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001_crop.jpg (54.7 KB, 22 views)