British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-08-15, 09:16 AM

Default Bophuthatswana Signal unit

This is apparently a Bophuthatswana Signal Unit Beret Balkie, therefore one must assume there was a beret badge. Can anyone tell me what the badge looked like please? Thank you in anticipation.
Phil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bophuthatswana Sig Balkie.jpg (40.6 KB, 9 views)
Old 24-08-15, 03:48 PM

Hi Phil

While there were obviously signallers in the Bophuthatswana Defence Force, I cannot find evidence of a Bop Signals Unit and have never seen a Bop Signals Corps-type badge either.

The only "homeland" signals badges that I have seen are a Transkei Signals Cap badge and a smaller version that I believe is a beret badge, while the SWA TF, actually part of the SADF and not "homeland", had distinctive Signals collar badges.

Your balkie also does not look like any of the Bophuthatswana beret bars that I have come across before - those that I have or know of were all in the SADF style of vertically divided bars, although at least one had a Bop DF device in the centre as well, more like miniature version of SADF higher formation bars for shoulder flashes.

Transkei balkies were also similar to the SADF balkies as far as I know.

I did have some slip-on shoulder flashes that I once thought were Bop Signals company (tactical) flashes but I think they might actually have been the colours of Mankwe Base.

Regards
Craig
Old 24-08-15, 10:12 PM

Thanks Craig, for that information. This bar is described in the book, Border War Badges, A Guide to South African Military & Police Badges 1964 - 1994, as a Bophuthatswana Signals Beret Bar. Following on from that I thought there must have been a beret badge.

Anyway the mystery deepens, thanks once again Craig.

Regards Phil.
Old 24-08-15, 11:00 PM

I have not seen the bar before but page 252 of The Royal Corps of Signals Supplement by Cliff Lord gives some details re the subject.
Rgds Quicksilver
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bop.jpg (51.4 KB, 34 views)
Old 25-08-15, 12:28 AM

Yes, thanks Quicksilver, I have read that in the book you mention.
Phil.
Old 25-08-15, 06:01 AM

Hi Phil and Quicksilver

That confirms the badge is Bop signals then, so my shoulder flashes were probably correctly identified. I will have to dig them out and check my old references. Unfortunately my copy of Border War Badges is very far away at the moment.

My guess would be that the beret bar and Signals flashes were worn with the Bop Defence Force cap badge by Bop Defence Force HQ staff of the 'telecommunications' staff compartment and the beret bar might also have been worn with unit badges and flashes by signallers permanently attached to units, in the South African style of the time.

Since neither Andrew Dines nor Colin Owen listed a Bop Signals badge in their books and I don't recall one in the artwork files that I saw a few years ago, I still think that there was no distinct badge but will be happy to be proved wrong - one more badge to track down, along with that balkie you have.

Regards
Craig
Old 25-08-15, 07:32 AM

Thanks Craig, but I haven't got it yet, I hope to have it soon.
Phil.
Old 25-08-15, 08:27 AM

Think you are right Craig. Many countries have a universal cap badge and some times have branch collars and or just branch/corps patches, or lanyards and stable belts. I hope there is a signal cap badge for Bop. but I don't think there is.
Quicksilver