British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-11-13, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussar100 View Post
He's certainly not A&SH. They wear six tassels on the sporran, known colloquially as "the swinging six".
Sorry, but it's not quite as simple as that. The Regiment actually had several different patterns of sporran, inter alia:

Officers' full dress or "ball" sporran - white background, five gold tassles
Officers' pattern badger head sporran
SNCO/WOs' pattern badger head sporran
Other ranks sporran - the "swinging six" that you refer to
Pipers' sporran - grey background with three long black tassels.

In addition to the above the Drum Major and Pipe Major wore a white sporran with three long black tassels and all ranks would, in certain forms of dress, wear the small leather-purse sporran.

So, I make that seven different patterns at a quick count, none of which are a close match for the one shown in the OP.

J
Old 20-11-13, 08:14 AM

I am now begining to think that that the old adage that you should never ask a Scotsman what he wears under his kilt should be extended to include what he wears on his sporran.
Old 20-11-13, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
I am now begining to think that that the old adage that you should never ask a Scotsman what he wears under his kilt should be extended to include what he wears on his sporran.
You wouldn't chuckle! And when you combine all the different uniform items that can be worn you end up with about 10 to the power 50 different forms of dress.

J
Old 20-11-13, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

The Argyles were infamous for having so many orders of dress - my favourite was Officers' TEWT order which was kilt, DMS boots and puttees.
Old 20-11-13, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
The Argyles were infamous for having so many orders of dress - my favourite was Officers' TEWT order which was kilt, DMS boots and puttees.
Also worn by the Regimental Police - their puttees had white tape for fastening.

J
Old 20-11-13, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
So... for the record here's a photo of yours truly (on the right - about 30 years and 6 stones ago!) wearing an officers' pattern badger head sporran (by the time I was promoted to sergeant you couldn't afford to be too choosy about what pattern of sporran you were able to acquire as they were in very very short supply indeed. My old mate, Jim Gardiner, on the left is wearing a SNCOs/WOs pattern.

J

Tags
piper, scottish regiments