British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-10-14, 02:36 PM

Default Alan Turing and Enigma

Just watched a short blurb on the upcoming movie of Turings life and his code breaking services in WW2. Turing will be played by the ever versatile Benedict Cumberbatch.

I had read numerous articles etc regarding Enigma but had not been aware of Turings life and tragic end. The movie is taking some early criticism by Turings biographer. Apparently the movie is playing up a relationship with a women, but that is the movies.

Such a sad end to the life of a war hero and genius. Have also just learned that the famous Apple Computer logo is based off of the poison apple used by Turing to end his life.

Look forward to the movie.
Old 26-10-14, 06:21 PM

An absolute genius and the farther of moden computers, hes a man I read a huge amount on a few years back , Benedict Cumberpatch will be perfect for this role , as for playing down his Sexuality that I guess is to be expected ,

and ......... if you study up on his life there is a very strong argument it wasnt suicide ........
Old 26-10-14, 06:31 PM

Can you recommend a good book on Turing?
Thanks
Old 27-10-14, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
Can you recommend a good book on Turing?
Thanks
You'll find a selection here. I have to say he's not in my list if "must reads" so I can't advise on a particular book.
Old 27-10-14, 03:28 PM

As I know little or nothing about the man anywhere is good place to start.

Thanks
Old 27-10-14, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
As I know little or nothing about the man anywhere is good place to start.

Thanks
May I suggest you start cheap then. This one is only £3.35 + £2.80 p&p ( you will find postage is always £2.80 on very cheap books with Amazon).

Unless you have Amazon prime in which case go for the same book at this location.

Always look for the cheap alternatives, even if they're second hand. I pay as little as 1p for some books - NODUFF that's 1 PENNY. Of course the postage is £2.80 lol.
Old 28-10-14, 03:39 PM

About 7 or 8 years ago I was doing quite a lot of work in various parts of Manchester and found myself travelling along a road called Alan Turing Way regularly .

I often wondered who Alan Turing was and in the more recent past not only have I become aware of who he was but also of the ground breaking work he was involved in.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 28-10-14 at 05:54 PM.
Old 28-10-14, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post
About 7 or 8 years ago I was doing quite a lot of work in various parts of Manchester and found myself travelling along a road called Alan Turing Way o regularly .

I often wondered who Alan Turing was and in the more recent past not only have I become aware of who he was but also of the ground breaking work he was involved in.

P.B.
There's something nagging in the back of my head that tells me I remember that street being named and the publicity it received.