British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-06-11, 06:36 AM

The War Memorial to the men of the HAC who fell in the 1914-18 War is a magnificent stained glass window on the landing half way up the staircase at Armoury House. The window depicts St. George and the arms of the Honourable Artillery Company. Below the window, in a recess, is a vellum book (Not to be confused with the Ancient Vellum Book of Members) containing a Roll of Honour of the fallen.

I believe it was in 1952 that a second Roll of Honour was placed alongside that of the 1914 - 18 war, and a Roll of Honour of the South African War was raised.

The regiment's church is that of St. Botolph Bishopsgate, and within the church was (And no doubt still is) a further Roll of Honour.

As an HAC cadet in the late 1940's I can well recall taking part in the detail of one NCO and two cadets who on our parade nights would march up the stairs, halt in front of the memorial, salute, then the NCO step forward, turn a page of the Roll of Honour. NCO steps back. All three salute again, then march down the stairs. Sticks in my mind as where I first learned not to swing arms when marching up or down stairs !!!!!

A stone memorial to the HAC? No, I cannot remember ever having seen or heard of one, and as regards the London Regiment, it is the one PJ mentions that I always associate with them - the one outside the Royal Exchange.

I am attaching a photograph of the stained glass window. I took this photo some time in the 1950's, and being in black and white it does not do justice to the glorious colours but gives an idea of size and design.

Cheers,

JohnG
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HAC Memorial.jpg (77.5 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by johnG; 09-06-11 at 06:47 AM.
Old 09-06-11, 11:58 AM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnG View Post
The War Memorial to the men of the HAC who fell in the 1914-18 War is a magnificent stained glass window on the landing half way up the staircase at Armoury House. The window depicts St. George and the arms of the Honourable Artillery Company. Below the window, in a recess, is a vellum book (Not to be confused with the Ancient Vellum Book of Members) containing a Roll of Honour of the fallen.

I believe it was in 1952 that a second Roll of Honour was placed alongside that of the 1914 - 18 war, and a Roll of Honour of the South African War was raised.

The regiment's church is that of St. Botolph Bishopsgate, and within the church was (And no doubt still is) a further Roll of Honour.

As an HAC cadet in the late 1940's I can well recall taking part in the detail of one NCO and two cadets who on our parade nights would march up the stairs, halt in front of the memorial, salute, then the NCO step forward, turn a page of the Roll of Honour. NCO steps back. All three salute again, then march down the stairs. Sticks in my mind as where I first learned not to swing arms when marching up or down stairs !!!!!

A stone memorial to the HAC? No, I cannot remember ever having seen or heard of one, and as regards the London Regiment, it is the one PJ mentions that I always associate with them - the one outside the Royal Exchange.

I am attaching a photograph of the stained glass window. I took this photo some time in the 1950's, and being in black and white it does not do justice to the glorious colours but gives an idea of size and design.

Cheers,

JohnG
Superb, John; many thanks for that, and for allowing us to see the photo.

Peter.
Old 09-06-11, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J View Post
Superb, John; many thanks for that, and for allowing us to see the photo.

Peter.
Yes I agree, thanks to everyone who has added to my original post.
Old 16-07-11, 10:33 AM

Despite passing this memorial in the car about thirty times a week, I finally took the opportunity to take a photo while taking the dog out for a walk this morning.

I'm not sure where the Dulwich Volunteer Battalion feature in the big picture, I seriously doubt anything to do with the Dulwich Defence League who were a VTC type unit. I presume some sort of 'Pals' with a connection with the 1st Surrey Rifles who recruited in the area. Is there such a thing as a Territorial Regiment with a 'Pals/Service' battalion, I can't think of any ?

This memorial is on the South Circular Road (A205) at the junction of Lordship Lane and Dulwich Common,across the road from The Grove/Harvester pub.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dulwich VB.jpg (64.0 KB, 24 views)
Old 16-07-11, 11:45 AM

This might help. I've found it very useful.

United Kingdom National Inventory of War Memorials

http://www.ukniwm.org.uk/

Yes, Keith, I think I must have passed that one quite a few times too !

Last edited by KLR; 16-07-11 at 11:47 AM. Reason: additional remark for KB
Old 16-07-11, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR View Post
This might help. I've found it very useful.

United Kingdom National Inventory of War Memorials

http://www.ukniwm.org.uk/

Yes, Keith, I think I must have passed that one quite a few times too !
Thanks Julian,

It's in there but no further information unfortunately.

http://www.ukniwm.org.uk/server/show...UkniwmSearch/1
Old 16-07-11, 02:25 PM

Hello Keith spotted a couple at Hyde Park Corner on the large island at the end of Park Lane,sorry not sure of road name .
One to The Machine Gun Corps and another to The Royal Regiment of Artillery.
Regards Tony.
PS sorry not London Regiment.

Last edited by tonyb; 16-07-11 at 02:28 PM. Reason: PS
Old 18-07-11, 08:06 AM

Tony, that big island is, indeed, Hyde Park Corner.

It has the Boy David, Memorial to the MGC; the Royal Artillery Memorial by Charles Sargent Jagger, and the Australian and New Zealand Memorials.

As to the Dulwich Volunteer Memorial, it must have been restored as it was in a sorry state when I used to pass it regularly (as the South Circ is either a permanent traffic jam or permanent roadworks I now go other routes) - and it could have been readily mistaken for a mile marker or such.
Old 18-07-11, 08:19 AM
Peter J

The memorial at Hyde Park Corner, is very impressive and well worth a visit. To the best of my knowledge though, Tony, it is not specifically dedicated to the London Regiment.

Regards,

Peter
Old 18-07-11, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staffsyeoman View Post
Tony, that big island is, indeed, Hyde Park Corner.

It has the Boy David, Memorial to the MGC; the Royal Artillery Memorial by Charles Sargent Jagger, and the Australian and New Zealand Memorials.

As to the Dulwich Volunteer Memorial, it must have been restored as it was in a sorry state when I used to pass it regularly (as the South Circ is either a permanent traffic jam or permanent roadworks I now go other routes) - and it could have been readily mistaken for a mile marker or such.
You're quite right, it was recently restored.
Old 18-07-11, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
Keith, have spent a little time on the net to locate the Artist Rifles I touched on in my earlier post.
It was their Old Drill Hall I was refering to, now a dance acadamy at 17 Duke's Road off Euston Road between Euston and St Pancras stations, worked in there several years ago and remember the memorial to them on the wall!
Cheers Tony.
Hi Tony. Attached is the memorial you might have seen inside 17 Dukes Road.
Also, above the doorway the Artists Rifles Regimental Badge etc. The pic could be better!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Duke Road001.jpg (73.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Duke Road004.jpg (66.2 KB, 45 views)
Old 18-07-11, 08:14 PM

Peter that must be it did you take these photos yourself?
Regards Tony.
Old 18-07-11, 09:18 PM

Tony, no I did'nt take them. I cribbed them from a friend.
I will have to stop by and take a pic of the door. Also, the memorial to the Artists Rifles at Burlington House, Royal Academy of Arts, Piccadilly.
I have seen it. It's a nice memorial.
They lost over 2000 in the 14/18 war which is a fair amount for a small Regiment of 2 or possibly 3 Battalions.
Old 19-07-11, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter99 View Post
Tony, no I did'nt take them. I cribbed them from a friend.
I will have to stop by and take a pic of the door. Also, the memorial to the Artists Rifles at Burlington House, Royal Academy of Arts, Piccadilly.
I have seen it. It's a nice memorial.
They lost over 2000 in the 14/18 war which is a fair amount for a small Regiment of 2 or possibly 3 Battalions.
Something in the back of my mind about soon into the war, and after the Artists Rifles had taken an apalling number of casualties, the High command woke up to the calibre of the men in the regiment and it became an officer producing unit.

Perhaps my memory plays me false, but I think I remember reading (many years ago), that the bulk of the surviving men were commissioned and posted to other units, many of them to lose their lives at a time when the survival rate for 2/Lts. was numbered in days, and the regiment turned into an OCTU, and so continued the process.

Last edited by johnG; 19-07-11 at 08:13 AM.
Old 19-07-11, 09:46 AM

johng, what you say I believe is quite correct.
The Artists Rifles did have a very good reputation in the 14/18 war, not only as an officer producing unit but for running small arms training courses which they were much respected for.
The ethos of course continues with the unit known by its official MOD title of 21SAS(R). But I understand within the unit the 'Artists Rifles' lives on with the title of: 21SAS(R)(Artists).