British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Military Book and Media Reviews

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-03-17, 11:07 AM

Default Gentlemen Soldiers (414 Bty RHA)

"And so at last we came to Tobruk. No one told us, but we had a pretty shrewd idea that we would not be retreating past this point. If the enemy wanted to bypass us it was up to them. On the outskirts of Tobruk we passed through a knife rest barrier of barbed wire which the Australians were manning. As we drove through Joe leaned out of his cab and shouted “Close the door, mates. We’re in.” I don’t think that he realised that we would be in for nearly eight months."

I hesitate to bring this up in the review section since I had a hand in the production of the book, but can't see how to add it to the section for member's books (mods if more appropriate please move it..!)

"Gentlemen Soldiers" is the personal account of Sergeant Len Tutt who served with 414 Bty of 104th (Essex Yeomanry) Regt RHA throughout World War 2. It covers his enlistment and basic training and then his service with the Regiment in North Africa including fighting the Italians and Germans and the seige and breakout from Tobruk, and then as a detached Bty in the retreat through Burma against the Japanese Army.

It's a very personal memoir and a nice complement to the rather dusty Regimental history covering that period. Short extracts have been published in the Regimental Journal over the years but this is the first time it has been published in its entirety.

It's a limited print run and all proceeds go to the Regimental Association (a registered charity providing welfare for serving and former members of the Regiment). Copies are available on a buy it now on eBay here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gentlemen-...oAAOSwnHZYXCV8

Or if preferred PM me and I can get the EY Association to send a Paypal invoice direct (which would save them some eBay & Paypal fees too)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gentlemen Soldiers cover.jpg (28.8 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Expat Yeoman; 25-03-17 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Image added