British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-03-12, 10:23 PM

Default 1869 Prison Shako featuring EVII badge

Here's one for all the prison collectors out there.

Recently we've had a few historical prison items on display at work as our prison is 161 years old now. And before the items were packed up and sent back to the Galleries of Justice museum in Nottingham (where the Prison Service collection is held) - I managed to get my hands on this baby, complete with the badge that we all want soooo much.

The guy that let me photograph it on the parcel shelf of my boot in the car park laughed when I said I'd give him £200 for the badge alone!

Hopefully the photos will come out - and the cap/Shako was tiny by the way. Like a childs hat even.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20120301-00078.jpg (57.7 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20120301-00079.jpg (48.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20120301-00080.jpg (62.2 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20120301-00081.jpg (44.5 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20120301-00082.jpg (51.0 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20120301-00083.jpg (63.8 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20120301-00084.jpg (53.3 KB, 37 views)
Old 01-03-12, 11:13 PM

Now for everyone that looks, please do not say that it's just a Majors crown, as it's not. Us Prison collectors have this in our sights and for me, personally, it's THE badge that I need to get. It's not an adopted rank crown used as a cap badge, or something that has been cut off a Police helmet plate or a collar badge etc. I'm not even sure if it was only used in this country? It may have been used in other places - comments please!

Garry
Old 02-03-12, 08:49 AM

Hi HMPbadges,
Superb photos of our Holy Grail badge.You were so lucky to get an opportunity to have been able to get to see it and get to photograph as well.
I am sure one day we will be lucky enough to get one.
Thanks for posting.
Hwyl
Bantam
Old 02-03-12, 09:41 AM

Default HMPS

Thankyou very much indeed, great images, I hope you did'nt take your camera into the jail after taking the pictures............ !

Regards

Destro
Old 02-03-12, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMPbadges View Post
I'm not even sure if it was only used in this country? It may have been used in other places - comments please!
I have an idea it may have been worn by the Cape Colony's prisons personnel late 19th/ early 20th century. Certainly, in the Union of South Africa, the chief warders wore an embroidered cap badge of a crown with the letters PSGD below it from circa 1911 to 1955. The letters stand for 'Prisons Service - Gevangenis Diens'.

Arthur
Old 02-03-12, 09:46 PM

From what you describe Arthur it sounds very familiar, ours were similar in the UK at the time as well, the colonies were the same or had varients. Do you have any photos etc?
Old 02-03-12, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destro1918 View Post
Thankyou very much indeed, great images, I hope you did'nt take your camera into the jail after taking the pictures............ !

Regards

Destro
I's funny you should say that, I had permission to take my camera in for the day and was all set to take some intricate Macro photos of every aspect of the hat, the label inside (yes it still existed), the thread/weave and of course about 100 of the badge itself. BUT, her that MUST be obeyed has been cleaning and can I now find my camera?

Can I hell...... so it was done with the camera on my phone in the car park outside

My mate (who you know yourself) has a good raport with the GOJ and can often borrow items from them so I'm sure there'll be other times to come.
Old 02-03-12, 10:47 PM

Hello HMP badges
A Very Very nice album indeed, one or two (infact a few rare badges) well done, there are not no many HMPS collections of that ilk about.

ReGuards

Destro
Old 02-03-12, 11:22 PM

Cheers Destro, I've gained a few new items recently as well but they are modern but still very unique. The album I posted a few years ago was only a snapshot of what I have really and I need to de-clutter and scale things down as I do have copies of several items. I may ebay a few items or make a swaps list at least.

Nice to hear you say that as well about my album, because when I look at your albums I think Bar**ad!!! (espesially the IoM stuff).

I wish I had some of the items you have
Old 02-03-12, 11:43 PM

Default HMPS

Hello again,

The Gibralter and Jersey badges although current a very difficult to get hold of(as is the I of M) I know what you mean by de cluttering, I must get round to it myself!!! Goodluck. Has you establishment had there LS&GC's yet?

I hope they like them..........

Regards

Destro
Old 02-03-12, 11:53 PM

Yes we have, and thank you for what you did medalwise to get us all remembered and issued with the two or three around at the moment. I'm looking forward to the Diamond Jubille medal, when do we get that this year?

Tags
bantam, destro