British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-08-17, 01:47 PM

Default Royal Marine badge question

Hi All
I was looking at some of my badges and for the first time had my officer's and sergeants badges next to each other and noticed the difference in size of the Royal Crests, the sergeants badge crest is nearly double the size of the officer's badge. I got this all-brass two-piece sergeants badge more than 20 years ago from a flea-market from a vendor who didn't know what it was. I am sure they are matched as the patina of the two parts is the same and the residue of polish on the rear match.
Any reason for the large size Royal Crest?
Cheers,
Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0746.jpg (69.8 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0751.jpg (54.1 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0749.jpg (58.5 KB, 29 views)
Old 25-08-17, 02:47 PM

Alex,

i would suggest the large Royal Crest is a Royal West Kent Regiment collar badge rather than the type worn above the laurel & Globe of the RM.

Its just too big.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 25-08-17, 04:59 PM

Alex

I would agree with Simon, I also believe the large lion & crown with North/South lugs is a Royal West Kent collar badge. Also it is not a sergeant's badge, RM sergeants wore a one piece badge but in gilt. Quartermaster Sergeants and later Colour Sergeants wore the 2 part badge in gilt (later replaced by staybright). I believe the King's Crown versions of the RM lion and crown parts should have East/West lugs or blades if bronze although the bronze ones are also found with lugs (E/W).

Paddy
Old 25-08-17, 05:01 PM

Alex your theory is not supported by the Royal Marines uniforms and insignia book which shows a QMSI badge (227) with the same size crest as the officers badges (225, 226) next to it.

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 27-08-17, 01:13 PM

Hi All
Thanks, I hadn't thought of that, probably correct. I must still add that I am quite sure they are matched and perhaps a serviceman lost his crest and added this. The patina is almost red on both badges and it is an unusual shade. For them to have been 2 totally independent bits which just happened to match seems unlikely to me.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 27-08-17, 07:16 PM

Default Leaves

The other problem with this set is that the laurel wreath ends in two leaves. Generally that denotes an ORs badge as officer's end in a single leaf as in your other badge. The only exception to this I know of is one issue of a QC bronze officers two part badge that has two leaves
Ray