British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-08-23, 11:44 AM

Default 84th Regiment of Foot Glengarry Badge - a good one ?

Gentlemen,

since a few days i have this nice looking pre-territorial glengarry badge in my collection. I is die struck, no flaws, the brass lugs seem correct. May be it has been gilded, the reverse, lugs and solder seem to have the same colour.
It seems to be from the same die like the badges shown in K&K (555) and Carman "Glengarry Badge of the British Line Regiments to 1881". Carman states "side loops".
On the very good website "York and Lancaster Regiment Badges" a badge from a different die is shown, for sure a period item.
The weight of my badge is 13,9g , unfortunately i don´t own the book "A Collectors Guide to Infantry Glengarry Badges 1851-1881" by McWilliams.
Perhaps someone can help me with the informations from this book about the 84th-badge, especially the weight ?

Thanks in advance and kind regards
Markus
P.S. If someone would sell a copy of McWilliams´s book, Vol.1, ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0555 84th Regiment of Foot av.jpg (80.8 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 0555 84th Regiment of Foot rv.jpg (84.9 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 0555 84th Regiment of Foot Seite.jpg (56.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Lugs 84.jpg (47.5 KB, 19 views)
Old 27-08-23, 12:49 PM

Markus

McWilliam states the badge is 57mm height with E-W fixings. Alas no detail on weight for this particular one.

The owner of the Y&L website is a member here and will hopefully see your post to comment.

EY
Old 27-08-23, 02:52 PM

Unfortunately I do not think that to be an original badge. It is actually not die struck, but a casting or die casting. The metal is too shiny and thick, with shear lines visible around the edges etc.

CB
Old 27-08-23, 03:18 PM

Thank you EY and CB for your contributions.
My badge is 56mm high, one millimeter less than McWilliams states.
And yes, the wreath is thicker than usual, while the number, rose and crown seem to be less thick. Yes CB, around the inner and outer edges are shear lines visible. As far as I know, shear lines are created when a metal sheet is punched and the openings are shaved off. With a cast I would expect a cast seam .... ?

Regards
Markus
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0900.jpg (21.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0901.jpg (23.4 KB, 9 views)
Old 27-08-23, 04:21 PM

I'm not a fan I'm afraid and its not one I would want to have in my collection. There are so many copies of this badge out there, some are good, some are not very good.

Its difficult to tell without having the badge 'in the hand' as the colour of the metal and the smoothness of the edges/rear are often indicators of originality.

However, I can see from the pictures there are a few tell tale signs its not an original pre 1881 badge.

The edges around the numbers and on the rear seem very rough/sharp and not what you would expect from a quality made badge, especially a badge that had been polished during service. There is a flaw on the number 8 which I doubt would still exist on the front as it would have been rubbed out by polishing by the soldier.

But the main indicator for me is that loops on this badge are located E-W when they should be N-S.

See pictures for what the badge should look like-note the colour of the brass and the smooth infill of the numbers from the rear indicating a die struck badge.

Ivan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 84th rear.jpg (65.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 84th front.jpg (62.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 84th rear1.jpg (56.1 KB, 13 views)
Old 27-08-23, 04:35 PM

Thanks for your judgement Ivan,

i saw this badge on the Y&L-badges website, for sure a very nice and genuine, period badge.
My problem is, that my badge is from a completely different die. Similar badges like mine are shown in K&K, Carman´s book.K&K, Carman and McWilliams states that their badges have e-w lugs.
I also have found the tons of faked 84th badges on eBay and some dealers sites, but they are also quite different from mine.
I will keep it as a "doubtfull curiosity".
Thanks all for your help,

best regards
Markus