British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-04-18, 10:58 AM

Default Unusal 5th Gurkha Rifles Badge

I was delighted to recently acquire this badge off Ashok Nath. Ashok acquired two of them from the Regimental tailors many years ago when he bought up their stock of old British insignia. It's really unusual in that the crest is in brass and the rest of the badge in white metal. I believe it's an adaption of a badge that is illustrated in the Gurkha museum's book on the insignia of the regiment. That one is all white metal and a crown (without a Lion) . The 5th Gurkhas were awarded the title "Royal" in 1921 and the crown was added to the design of the badge - but in 1927 the Regiment decided that the crown by itself was not distinctive enough and received permission to add the Lion. So either the badge was just adapted to reflect the new change in design or quite possibly this was a prototype made by the Regimental tailors/silversmiths to show what the badge would look like with Lion (using an existing crest from some other corps or regiment)- so it may never have been worn but I'm very happy that I've acquired an interesting piece of the Regiment's insignia/history
Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN6047.jpg (45.5 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6046.jpg (39.0 KB, 40 views)
Old 28-04-18, 11:37 AM

Very nice indeed!
Old 28-04-18, 08:06 PM

Thumbs up 5RGR badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkharifles View Post
I was delighted to recently acquire this badge off Ashok Nath. Ashok acquired two of them from the Regimental tailors many years ago when he bought up their stock of old British insignia. It's really unusual in that the crest is in brass and the rest of the badge in white metal. I believe it's an adaption of a badge that is illustrated in the Gurkha museum's book on the insignia of the regiment. That one is all white metal and a crown (without a Lion) . The 5th Gurkhas were awarded the title "Royal" in 1921 and the crown was added to the design of the badge - but in 1927 the Regiment decided that the crown by itself was not distinctive enough and received permission to add the Lion. So either the badge was just adapted to reflect the new change in design or quite possibly this was a prototype made by the Regimental tailors/silversmiths to show what the badge would look like with Lion (using an existing crest from some other corps or regiment)- so it may never have been worn but I'm very happy that I've acquired an interesting piece of the Regiment's insignia/history
Tim
Interesting bit of history.
Old 19-10-22, 04:59 PM

4 years ago, I posted about this unusual 5GR badge and last week I managed to acquire an example of the badge with the original crown before it was adapted. The badge with the adapted crown is possibly unique (or very nearly, only two examples exist that I know of) - however its taken me 30 years to find an example of the badge with Kings Crown and no Lion - worn 1922>1927. What is obvious is the similarity in construction between the two badges - clearly the same manufacturer. Delighted to have both in the collection now for comparison purposes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3156.jpg (88.9 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3157.jpg (85.3 KB, 20 views)
Old 20-10-22, 08:45 AM

This is the best thing about the hobby in my opinion - good research, long term persistence and then that moment when it all comes together.

Nice one Tim!