British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-09-13, 10:11 AM

Default Rhodesian WW2 Pilot cap badge

Can someone describe / show an image of a WW2 era Pilots Cap badge that would be worn by a Rhodesian volunteer flying with the RAF but who qualified in Rhodesia?

Thanks,

Mark F
Old 09-09-13, 12:13 PM

As far as I am aware they wore the standard RAF officers cap badge if an officer pilot. Not sure what non officer pilots wore or even if there were any.

Collar badges were the Rhodesian lion. (ie. general service badge)
Buttons were raf eagle surmounted by Rhodesian Lion

Steven
Old 09-09-13, 03:10 PM
Banned

The Southern Rhodesian Air Force was absorbed into the RAF during the war. A pilot previously in the SRAF would wear a uniform identical to RAF but with SRAF wings and Rhodesia shoulder titles.

Insignia of the SRAF was wide and varied.
Old 10-09-13, 11:20 AM

The question is, Officer's badge or Other Ranks Badge? Officer's wore the standard RAF badge, OR's did have a distinctive brass badge
Old 18-09-13, 08:31 PM

Hello Mark,
As others have pointed out, the badge worn by officers of the Southern Rhodesia Air Force during the was was just a normal Royal Air Force officers badge, I'll find something for you to look at and add a photo in due course.
I knew quite a few SRAF airmen, both officers and NCO's who few in North West Europe in WW2, none of who are still with us today.
Kind regards Frank Kelley

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Ignorance View Post
Can someone describe / show an image of a WW2 era Pilots Cap badge that would be worn by a Rhodesian volunteer flying with the RAF but who qualified in Rhodesia?

Thanks,

Mark F
Old 22-09-13, 02:48 PM

Hello again Mark,
Sorry, I said I would get back to you and quite forgot to do so, anyway, this might be of interest, though, to be honest, as others have said, this really is not an issue and members of the Southern Rhodesian Air Force wore the normal RAF officers cap badge.
This particular gentleman came down to South Africa to join their air force, but, they were not interested, so he headed north back home and joined the Southern Rhodesian Air Force instead in 1942 at Moffat.
His ab nititio was with number 24 Combined Air Observers School where he qualified as an air gunner.
After various postings he went operational with number 44 Rhodesia Squadron, Bomber Command, RAF in North West Europe in 1944 as a Flight Sgt, he was promoted to WO2 and then commissioned in March 1945, he flew 36 operational sorties over Europe before the war ended.
He was discharged from the Southern Rhodesian Air Force Reserve of Officers in October 1945 at Salisbury.
Attached is the photo from his "1250" note the Rhodesian AG brevet, another, as an officer in 1945, in trench coat second left, with officers of 5 Group and detail from his log book showing service with number 44.
Around a quarter of airmen in this unit were Rhodesian, it was the only unit to serve with 5 group from begining to the end of the war and one of two units to have continous service with Bomber Command in the war.
Kind regards Frank Kelley
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020122.jpg (29.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg P1020123.jpg (35.7 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg P1020124.jpg (24.8 KB, 30 views)
Old 24-09-13, 07:51 AM

Mark,
I forgot to add, I do think you would have got more, if you had done this post in the South Africa section under Air Force!
Regards again Frank
Old 04-10-13, 05:14 PM

This is the cap badge as worn by a Rhodesian officer attached to the RAF. Given to me while still living in Rhodesia by its original wearer. ORs wore brass badge as attached in the war. (Apologies for poor image quality) The Rhodesian Staff Corps badge was often worn as a collar badge on RAF uniforms. Rhodesia titles were also worn on RAF uniforms as attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cap badge officers 1940s - 50s KC.jpg (86.6 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Cap badge KC wide wreath - Late WW2.jpg (57.9 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Title pale blue weave on blue WW2.jpg (32.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Title pale blue thread on blue.jpg (23.3 KB, 27 views)
Old 05-10-13, 03:17 PM

Hello Dudley,
That is a most attractive officers cap badge, is there anything on its reverse, also, is there anything else you can tell about its original owner?
Most that I have seen tend to be have bought here, so a good many London and Lincolnshire tailors, wartime made, standard shape etc.
You do sometimes encounter the odd example with a Salisbury tailors label on the reverse.
Kind regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madziro View Post
This is the cap badge as worn by a Rhodesian officer attached to the RAF. Given to me while still living in Rhodesia by its original wearer. ORs wore brass badge as attached in the war. (Apologies for poor image quality) The Rhodesian Staff Corps badge was often worn as a collar badge on RAF uniforms. Rhodesia titles were also worn on RAF uniforms as attached.
Old 06-10-13, 03:39 AM
Banned

Not WWII but I thought they might be of interest. Southern Rhodesia Air Force Cap and Collar Badges.

IMG_6033.JPG

IMG_6041.JPG
Old 06-10-13, 07:31 AM

Hi All
Here's my frame of Rhodesian Air Force badges from c.WWII - 1980.
Cheers,
Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC07896.jpg (66.5 KB, 100 views)
Old 06-10-13, 08:39 AM
Banned

Very nice. Have never seen anyone ever wear that flag in the air force but some troopies in the RLI wore them on their camo uniform on ops.
Old 06-10-13, 04:40 PM

Still good badges though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesianmilitaria View Post
Not WWII but I thought they might be of interest. Southern Rhodesia Air Force Cap and Collar Badges.

Attachment 91960

Attachment 91961
Old 06-10-13, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesianmilitaria View Post
Very nice. Have never seen anyone ever wear that flag in the air force but some troopies in the RLI wore them on their camo uniform on ops.
Hi Peter
Not sure if the flag was worn, but it came to me from an ex-RhAF serviceman as part of his old insignia, which is why it made it onto the frame.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 06-10-13, 10:58 PM
Banned

It may have been worn unofficially on a work or camo uniform by the RhAF serviceman.

Seen on RLI troopie after an op. The patch on his chest is a 3 Cdo 'Lovers' para wing, also unofficial but obviously tolerated to a degree on camo uniforms.

001.jpg

7.jpg
7a.jpg