British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-07-10, 06:57 PM

Default 1918 OBSERVERS WING

Enclosed a picture of my 'latest' find.

I let this go to a friend back in 1981 and it has resided in his collection since. Today it came back 'home'!

I 'believe' this insignia to have been produced for the first (and short lived) RAF Sky Blue tunic issued in 1918. It is woven in both gold and silver wire on dark blue/black melton with a canvas backing. I am fairly sure this is not an example of 'dress uniform' insignia – all examples of this type of brevet seen have been in gold thread.

I have read that this design with two colour wire was a short lived design soon replaced once again with the familiar woven cloth version – but I may be wrong!

Anyway I have enclosed it for those interested in such things.

Any comments. as always, will be most welcome.

Kind regards, Malcolm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg O OBV.jpg (30.1 KB, 64 views)
Old 04-10-10, 09:31 AM

Hi,
I have two examples of these and have seen them on the sky blue and first issue kharki tunic RAF.
all the best
casp
Old 04-10-10, 12:41 PM
Banned

The most common use of this badge was on the RFC Full Dress uniform which comprised a dark blue tunic, trousers and peaked cap with scarlet trim.
Old 04-10-10, 04:14 PM

Thank you both very much for the interesting replies.

I had not thought of RFC dress uniform as I had not considered it to be that early.

This is one of the things I like about our hobby – the continuing opportunity to gain new knowledge.

Kind regards, Malcolm.