British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-04-17, 09:03 AM

Default Metropolitan Police Dockyard Divisions

I have recently required a photograph of a member of the Metropolitan Police Dockyard Division, possibly stationed at Devonport as that is where the picture came from.

Unlike most pictures of Metropolitan Police officers serving in the Royal Dockyards he is not wearing a helmet with the usual Dockyard Division helmet plate. Instead he is wearing a cap with a distinctive cap badge. I am familiar with the various versions of the helmet plate but I have never seen this cap badge before. It is obviously related to the helmet plate in as much as it has a VQC and the usual sloping anchor.

The second image shows a close-up of his collar which shows the normal arrangement of numbers/anchor/ crown.

The third image shows a close-up of the cap and badge.

Can anyone tell me why this man would be wearing this cap instead of the more usual helmet? And can anyone tell me anything more about the cap badge or provide a better image of one? What was the significance of this badge?

Many thanks for any information anyone can provide.

Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dockyard Division.jpg (49.9 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Collar.jpg (23.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Cap and badge.jpg (31.4 KB, 51 views)