British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-08-17, 12:28 PM

Default Cloth- 579 Regt RA- Leics Regt

Please can anyone fill in details of the badges in the photos, i.e. a screen printed 'green tiger' and the numerals '579'. I think they are associated with 579 (Royal Leics Regt) LAA Regt, RA. If correct they are no earlier than 1947, and no later than 1955.

I am aware of the usual embroidered and woven versions of the tiger that were worn by the TA Regt, but have no references to the numeral.
I have also seen an embroidered tiger worn on a R. Leics Regt winter hat in Korea.

Both pics are taken from the internet- apologies if they belong to someone but I could not identify owner!

Thanks, Stephen.
Old 10-08-17, 03:00 PM

Never seen them. It may help if you indicated from which website you obtained the images.

Marc
Old 10-08-17, 10:41 PM

Default Cloth- 579 Regt RA

Marc,

These were culled from a Bing image search a few years ago, not one web site.

Stephen.
Old 11-08-17, 07:44 AM

There was a pair of the printed tigers on ebay the other day, but they seem to have sold as I could no longer find them.

They had been discussed on another forum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg green leics tigers watermarked.jpg (116.7 KB, 11 views)

Jerry
Old 11-08-17, 07:45 AM

Recent thread on other site...a week ago.....Leics Army Cadet Officer cadet, and the ebay
pair......also worn by 44 Searchlight Regt. RA.

Last edited by sketchley kid; 11-08-17 at 08:09 AM.
Old 11-08-17, 09:46 AM

Thanks all.

I believe the embroidered tiger was also worn by 121 LAA Regt which was another off-shoot of the Leics Regt.

Still no closer to finding out about the printed version though

Stephen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Leics Tiger.jpg (37.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0683.jpg (32.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 11-08-17, 12:26 PM

This contemporary combination from a surviving BD shows the printed sign in use, the brigade bars identifying it as worn by 2nd/5th Leicesters in 139 Brigade, 46th Division.

The embroidered version was authorised for 579th LAA by the War Office Dress Committee in October 1951 but as the regiment's predecessor 121 LAA had worn the same tiger during WW2 it seems likely that the Dress Committee were authorising a dress distinction the regiment already wore.

The tiger on the US Pattern cold weather cap would have been worn by 1st Bn Royal Leicesters whilst in Korea between October 1951 and June 1952.

The RA-coloured numeral looks like a souvenir/commemorative item. I have found no trace of it in official records.

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 46 Div Leics combo small.jpg (87.6 KB, 12 views)
Old 11-08-17, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postwarden View Post
This contemporary combination from a surviving BD shows the printed sign in use, the brigade bars identifying it as worn by 2nd/5th Leicesters in 139 Brigade, 46th Division.

The embroidered version was authorised for 579th LAA by the War Office Dress Committee in October 1951 but as the regiment's predecessor 121 LAA had worn the same tiger during WW2 it seems likely that the Dress Committee were authorising a dress distinction the regiment already wore.

The tiger on the US Pattern cold weather cap would have been worn by 1st Bn Royal Leicesters whilst in Korea between October 1951 and June 1952.

The RA-coloured numeral looks like a souvenir/commemorative item. I have found no trace of it in official records.

Jon
579 LAA Regt amalgamated on 10 Mar 55 with 262 (North Midland) Regt and 585 (Northants) Regt to form 438 (Northants) Regt - the late 579 Regt forming RHQ and Q (R Leicestershire Regt) Bty, 438 Regt. Could one of these components have worn the 579 flash to record their links back to 579 LAA Regt? Or is that too far-fetched even for the TA of the period?
Old 11-08-17, 02:50 PM

Interesting thread. I have in the past found that amalgamating RA TA units continued to wear what ever they were wearing before being amalgamated. Why take some thing off when all you have done is changed a name.

The Royal Hindoostan Tiger in green, detailed in black on a black background worn by. The 44th Searchlight Regiment RA (TA), formed in 1940 from the 4th Battalion, The Royal Leicestershire Regiment, redesignated in 1942 as 121st Light Anti Aircraft Regiment RA (TA), became 579th Light Anti Aircraft Regiment RA (The Royal Leicestershire Regiment) (TA) in 1947, redesignated as ‘Q’ Battery (Royal Leicestershire Regiment), of 438th Light Anti Aircraft Regiment RA (TA) in 1955, disbanded in 1961.

Marc
Old 11-08-17, 03:03 PM

Marc is undoubtedly right. There are many instances in the Minutes of the War Office Dress Committee that show that badges continued to be worn long after amalgamation - and that some badges authorised for the many regiments of the TA amalgamated in the 1950s and 1960s were often not worn.

Jon
Old 12-08-17, 05:32 AM

Many thanks for the additional update, and confirmation that the printed tiger isn't a modern item.

Is it too much to hope for that someone can add to the numeral?

Stephen.
Old 12-08-17, 06:29 AM

Jon commented:

I agree - probably pure coincidence in the numeral. However, in 1981 a Sgt from 22 Locating Battery (based at Larkhill I believe) visited Belize. I was interested to note that he was wearing the sign of yellow XXII on a blue shield (which was actually the second pattern sign of 22 Engr Gp TA). Unfortunately I never got around to asking him "Why?" Such strange things happen, even in a well regulated Army! Mike
Old 12-08-17, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
Jon commented:

I agree - probably pure coincidence in the numeral. However, in 1981 a Sgt from 22 Locating Battery (based at Larkhill I believe) visited Belize. I was interested to note that he was wearing the sign of yellow XXII on a blue shield (which was actually the second pattern sign of 22 Engr Gp TA). Unfortunately I never got around to asking him "Why?" Such strange things happen, even in a well regulated Army! Mike
I would be interested in seeing which one you have attributed to the Sappers.

Marc
Old 12-08-17, 01:36 PM

Marc,
Herewith - the numbers refer to John Waring's Identification Pamphlet No 1.
Mike
22 Engr Gp (TA).jpg
Old 12-08-17, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
Marc,
Herewith - the numbers refer to John Waring's Identification Pamphlet No 1.
Mike
Attachment 175791
Thank you, I have the same but I also have this one which came from a member of 22 Loc Bty.

I have always wondered about these badges as all the Sapper ones seem to be hand made and the Gunner one purpose made by machine.

Marc

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:34 PM.