British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-06-16, 03:03 PM

Default ATS.....

An ATS FANY driver sits in the cab of her lorry as she receives her instructions for the day from her ATS colleague at the ATS MTC training centre at Camberley in 1941.

http://media.iwm.org.uk/iwm/mediaLib...at=photographs

http://media.iwm.org.uk/iwm/mediaLib...at=photographs

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 24-06-16, 08:09 PM

It's very hard to read the badges exactly, but I would say that's an ATS driver receiving orders from an ATS officer who has previously served in FANY and thus is allowed to retain her FANY flashes. You can see she's also wearing her chin strap over the top of her cap, another FANY tradition, and a FANY Sam Browne with no cross-strap.

Eddie - son of a wartime FANY trooper who was required to take an ATS commission and wore that badge combination.
Old 24-06-16, 08:39 PM

Eddie....she was "required" to take an ATS commission..????

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 25-06-16, 10:26 AM

Perhaps "made an offer she couldn't refuse" would be a better way of putting it.

She was a serving FANY trooper in 1939 and was mobilised to serve in a FANY Motor Company in Northern Ireland. FANY had many priveledges not recognised in the army. They did not differentiate between the ranks when off duty, for instance, they had no officers' or OR's messes. FANY ORs were allowed access to army officers' messes. Which was helpful if they were engaged to an officer - as my mother was

After the formation of the ATS service in the ranks of FANY was clearly a more attractive proposition for most of those who would have formed the initial ATS officer corps. In order to get the whole thing on a working basis FANY's priveledges were withdrawn and members were given the choice of accepting commissions in the ATS or remaining as ORS. It was made clear that once the choice was made there would be no second chance. They were allowed to retain certain uniform distinctions.

None of this, of course, applies to the "Free FANYs" who worked with SOE etc.

Eddie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HMP-FANY.jpg (34.2 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg HMP-Medals.jpg (35.0 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by Eddie Parks; 25-06-16 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-08-17, 01:30 PM

With your permission, if love to use the photo of your Mum for my research for a book on British women's uniforms of ww2. I think her photo in uniform would be a splendid addition to illustrate the transitional period of many of the women into the ATS. I plan to cover every job and uniform held during ww2, including civilian auxiliaries. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

Regards, Jeff
Old 01-08-17, 01:50 PM

Hello Voltigeur
Ces jolies filles me font penser à la chanson de Roy Orbinson:
"Pretty woman"......
Mais soyons sérieux. C'est la guerre......

Content de voir un message de votre part.

These pretty girls remind me of Roy Orbinson's song:
"Pretty woman" ......
But let's be serious. It's the war......

Glad to see a message from you.

Jean-Paul
Old 01-08-17, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBadger View Post
With your permission, if love to use the photo of your Mum for my research for a book on British women's uniforms of ww2. I think her photo in uniform would be a splendid addition to illustrate the transitional period of many of the women into the ATS. I plan to cover every job and uniform held during ww2, including civilian auxiliaries. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

Regards, Jeff
Would you like a picture of the (very attractive) Cpl Early ATS (badged Int Corps)? I bought her uniform and documents about 15 years ago for the Int Corps Museum. She worked at Bletchley Park. Mike
Old 06-08-17, 09:06 AM

Jeff,
If you want to us my mother's picture that's fine. At that time she was Trooper Hilda Cowdy.
Eddie