British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-08-17, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
Nice badges - all look Victorian / Edwardian
The Cornwall Light Infantry in that design may be your youngest badge - subject to expert opinion from the Forum.
Charles Thomas's book on Military Insignia of Cornwall suggests introduction 1900 (shown in Dress Regulations 1900) earlier pattern (from 1896) was as below.
This may suggest the belt was put together in South Africa 1899-1902 though you would have to research further - Did all regiments represented serve there?
Mike
Mike

The DCLI white metal bugle horn badge has a sealed pattern date of 1896. As you say it may have been several years before it replaced the FSC badge that you show which was sealed in 1896.

There is nothing in the collection that dates it to after 1901. The large Suffolks badge is the regtl pagri badge for wear on the Foreign Service Helmet.

Alan
Old 21-08-17, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLDREGT View Post
Sorry took so long to get back. I have bee holidaying. little clearer I hope. No idea what unit. It's light but not sure if white metal that has been blackened or brass. Weight 3.1 grams on jeweller scale.

Don
No problem, Don, and thank you for photo.

The badge looks white metal and to be the size of a collar. Interesting looking badge and very hard to tie down to a specific unit or use.

However, I will continue to look and see if I can i.d. it.

If your ever moving it on, I'd be interested.

Regards,

Dave
Old 22-08-17, 03:19 AM

Default VICTORIAN BADGES

Hi

Would the SUFFOLK pagri badge have the pin back as the attachment method? I had read somewhere, on the Forum I believe, that some of this period Pagri badges were pin back.

Thanks

Don
Old 22-08-17, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

Don

Yes it would http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ctureid=117884 You can see it through the pierced centre.

Alan