British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-08-17, 05:17 PM

Default Artists M&M arm badges

During research on this badge, I found 7 examples shown on here or on other places, and everyone I could find was different to all the others. This came from the same source as the original SAS 21st (Artists) title I showed recently.

The one I have is well made, but I would not be surprised if it was a copy, though during my research I could not find any copies having been sold or for sale.

One thing I noted among those I could find was that near the scroll ends there is a larger open area visible and also the peak on Mars's helmet tends to be sharper than on the one I am showing.

Has anyone got any originals to show please?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg artists arm badge f.jpg (64.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg artists arm badge r.jpg (87.7 KB, 12 views)

Jerry
Old 03-08-17, 09:21 AM

Default 21 SAS (Artists)

This example came from the wearer of the 21 SAS BD blouse I have shown here. He served in the regiment astride the time they changed from the Artists beret badge to SAS (and arm badge from SAS to Artists) Mike
SAS_21 SAS_Artists arm badge.01.jpg
Old 03-08-17, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
This example came from the wearer of the 21 SAS BD blouse I have shown here. He served in the regiment astride the time they changed from the Artists beret badge to SAS (and arm badge from SAS to Artists) Mike
Attachment 175350
Thanks Mike, a stunning example.

From those I can find, there appears to be three main variants, the one I showed which I think is a copy (I have found images of 3 of this type), the type you show with the finer detailing to the peak and to Minerva's face (I have found images of 3 or 4 of this type) and the beret badge version which is very different. When I say I have found images, I mean of those that are clearer enough to see the details.

Jerry
Old 03-08-17, 12:08 PM

My variants.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2257.jpg (101.6 KB, 46 views)
Old 03-08-17, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airtrooper View Post
My variants.
A fine collection, thanks for responding and sharing these.

Two of these are of the same type as the one I own and I am glad to see them in your collection.

Are you happy that they are all original issue items? I refer to the two with smaller backings at top right.

Jerry
Old 04-08-17, 01:03 PM

IMG_3424.jpg

IMG_3418.jpg

Mine is the same as Airtrooper's centre example; both were scrounged from Dare Newell in the early 1970s.
Old 04-08-17, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCollector View Post
Attachment 175426

Attachment 175425

Mine is the same as Airtrooper's centre example; both were scrounged from Dare Newell in the early 1970s.
Thanks,

both badges look good.

Jerry
Old 04-08-17, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBOND View Post
During research on this badge, I found 7 examples shown on here or on other places, and everyone I could find was different to all the others. This came from the same source as the original SAS 21st (Artists) title I showed recently.

The one I have is well made, but I would not be surprised if it was a copy, though during my research I could not find any copies having been sold or for sale.

One thing I noted among those I could find was that near the scroll ends there is a larger open area visible and also the peak on Mars's helmet tends to be sharper than on the one I am showing.

Has anyone got any originals to show please?
Looks like mine which came from ebay about 10-18 years ago, on a sandy beret which I was told was wrong which then turned out to be right..... I'll need to find better pictures though.
Old 04-08-17, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsoldier View Post
Looks like mine which came from ebay about 10-18 years ago, on a sandy beret which I was told was wrong which then turned out to be right..... I'll need to find better pictures though.
I look forward to seeing your pics if you can find them

Jerry