British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-07-17, 12:56 AM

Default Plastic RCR Capbadge?

Hello gents...been stalking the forum for a bit and now seeking some clarification on a capbadge I recently came across.

I'm not entirely sure if it is plastic...it feels like it has very little weight to it however, it feels strong enough that I would be unable to break it. It was mounted on a plaque and given to an outgoing CSM so I don't doubt it's authenticity. Sadly the slider was removed in order to glue it to the diaplay plaque.

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-07-17, 10:48 AM

As far as I am aware, these badges appeared in the late 70s or very early 80s, but were not used by the Regiment for long. When I joined the Regiment in the early 80s they were referred to as "Cadet badges" because that is where they had been relegated.

Very lightweight, they are not a stamped metal badge and are a possibly an early example of a spin cast badge. The one in your photos is is the first damaged one I have seen that shows the star was coated for the final finish.

Curiously, this is the badge that was used in creation of the Regiment's limited edition centennial sword for 1983.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170617_RCR_Centennial_sword_061_004_400px.jpg (103.9 KB, 9 views)
Old 08-07-17, 12:41 PM

Thanks for that informative reply.
For reference on dates of circulation, the plaque this badge was mounted is dated 1977.