British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-08-17, 05:12 PM

Default IWM - Dodgy Royal Norfolk

I was more than a little disappointed recently, to see that IWM Duxford has used for its display inside the Royal Anglian Regt. museum, the dreaded 'crash helmet' Britannia as the example of the Royal Norfolk cap badge (apologies for the poor quality of the first image)...

IMG_4136.JPG

The badge has also been reproduced for their large, printed wall display :

IMG_4137.JPG

JT

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 11-08-17 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-08-17, 05:32 PM

They have also used the pre-amalgamation Q/C Suffolk cap badge within the same display...

IMG_4139.JPG

...a badge which has been the subject of debate here on the forum previously.

JT

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 11-08-17 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Typo correction
Old 11-08-17, 05:48 PM

Smile Museums and badges

JT, sorry you were disappointed with IWM's badges at Duxford, this is not the only museum displaying dubious badges, quite why they don't get someone with a bit of knowledge to advise them on items displayed is beyond me.

Having said that they do have some good badges, but there if IWM can't find good stuff who can?

Rob
Old 11-08-17, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzer View Post
A total howler there Jelly! Your second image dates the badge to 1935!!
Of all the various examples out there, it just so happens the worst possible offender was selected as the display badge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
JT, sorry you were disappointed with IWM's badges at Duxford, this is not the only museum displaying dubious badges, quite why they don't get someone with a bit of knowledge to advise them on items displayed is beyond me.

Having said that they do have some good badges, but there if IWM can't find good stuff who can?

Rob
You're right of course, Rob, there are also some super badges and other items there for us all to see. Duxford is a fantastic museum and an absolutely brilliant day out for visitors all ages.

Cheers,

JT
Old 12-08-17, 02:37 PM

A prime example of such museums employing people who will give you the square root of a jar of pickles and starve to death getting the lid off. Common sense and a little research - plus an interest in what you are doing goes a long way........... Those reading this who are curators and who do not fall into this definition, no offence intended. Its just that I've lost count of the number of similar examples I've seen in the past. Invariably when the error is pointed out the response is "Oh, I didn't know that!"

Dave.
Old 13-08-17, 01:44 AM

Default Dodgy Royal Norfolk

I've found exactly the same lack of knowledge at both the National Maritime Museum and the Royal Navy Museum in Portsmouth. It never ceases to amaze me that the people responsible for our national collections of military and naval artefacts have so little knowledge and, often, very little interest. I have already commented elsewhere on the site about the way in which the National Maritime Museum's online collections of buttons and badges show many items familiar to collectors which are either listed as 'unknown' or simply misidentified. The larger the institution the more common this appears to be.

After I left the Navy I undertook an MA in Heritage Studies and applied for several positions at maritime museums. I soon realised that the major things against me were the fact that I had actually been to sea and that I had an interest in the subject, indeed that I collected items myself! I was even told that no museum would employ someone who actually collected naval memorabilia and was advised to say that I wasn't a collector. Whether this was because they were worried that I might steal all their artefacts to add to my own collection I don't know.

So I gave up on any career within maritime museums and applied to join the NHS as a hospital administrator - a job I knew nothing about at all and in which none of my previous knowledge or experience would be any use whatsoever. So they obviously gave me a job!

Pete
Old 11-08-17, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Terror View Post
I was more than a little disappointed recently, to see that IWM Duxford has used for its display inside the Royal Anglian Regt. museum, the dreaded 'crash helmet' Britannia as the example of the Royal Norfolk cap badge (apologies for the poor quality of the first image)...

Attachment 175742

The badge has also been reproduced for their large, printed wall display :

Attachment 175744

JT
A total howler there Jelly! Your second image dates the badge to 1935!!