British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-06-09, 10:27 PM
Former Member

Thumbs up Birmingham Mint - FANTASY!!!

When I first joined the forum I posted a reply, that I thought that a badge which had been posted as an officers badge with a slider was in fact from the Birmingham Mint collection of Famous British Army Regiments. I received more flak than a Stuka over Buckingham Palace and was told that they were "Fantasy Items"! Well for you who are a "Doubting Thomas" my FANTASY is almost complete, thanks very much to Stephen Risby who furnished me with all the information I needed. I only need RUR, KOYLI, Manchester (Fd'L) and Suffok Regt to complete my collection of "Fantasy" badges, my intention is to frame them as I can be sure that once under glass there will not be another that needs to go in!!!! If you have any of the ones I am missing I have RIF, SWB and DCLI as swaps. Here is a photo of my collection so far (it is real and not trick photography), in no particular order, once complete they will be framed and displayed as (IMO) they are very nice examples of British Badges (I Know they are repro but I can live with that)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG7606.jpg (70.5 KB, 363 views)

Last edited by 2747andy; 02-06-09 at 11:11 PM.
Old 02-06-09, 10:58 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Default B'ham Mint

Andy,

They don't look too bad at all, especially as a bespoke display, I have two, it's a pity they are both to the Worcesters !!! I quite like them but doubt if I would actually try to collect the lot, lol.

Dave.
Old 03-06-09, 08:28 AM

Hi Andy,

Sorry, I am being a bit thick with this query and I somehow missed your original post. Are you saying that all the badges in the picture were produced by the Birmingham Mint as part of a commemorative set or have I completely mis-read the post?
From a distance they look nice badges how do you tell? (is it as simple as they are stamped “Birmingham Mint”?).
I think you also need the Royal Berkshires to complete the set, unless top left is the DERR.

Regards

Ian
Old 03-06-09, 09:09 AM

G’day Andy

I’ve got ten of these B’ham mint badges and like you I think they look good and I pick them up if and when I see them.

Couple of questions

I have an 11th Hussars which I have always thought was a B’ham mint badge but I see there are no cavalry regiments in your display?

Is there a complete list on this forum or on the net of what was produced?

Cheers
John
Old 03-06-09, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak580 View Post
G’day Andy

I’ve got ten of these B’ham mint badges and like you I think they look good and I pick them up if and when I see them.

Couple of questions

I have an 11th Hussars which I have always thought was a B’ham mint badge but I see there are no cavalry regiments in your display?

Is there a complete list on this forum or on the net of what was produced?

Cheers
John
I can't find one, I spent about 40 minutes this morning looking :-)

Tom
Old 03-06-09, 10:27 AM
Former Member

Guys,
thanks for your posts, there were 52 in all, just Line Infantry Regiments. There were Silver Proof coins which were the main items and each one came with a cap badge and history/battle honours of the respective Regt. I'm not sure if they produced a Cavalry set (I've never seen any - (John)). The badges are very well made, they are not marked "BIRMINGHAM MINT" in anyway however the "Welch Regt" & "Somerset LI" that I have, have "J.R.GAUNT B'HAM" on the sliders. They are mainly Frosted/Burnished Silver/Gilt, some are enamelled and a few OSD finish! The give away is that they look and feel like Officers badges but have sliders in every case (no lugs or blades etc). there is a Royal Berkshires (top center below R Scots Fus - (Ian)). I received scans of the literature which came with the Coins/Badges from Stephen Risby (Forum Member) I will check with him before I post anything which he has sent me! I'm sure B'ham Mint and Gaunts became one and the same, so suspect badges were struck from original dies, there are a few which have a little artisic alteration, e.g. the very small Cameronians. When/if I complete the set I will post them as an Album (front and back) here on the Forum (Tom), all the best for now, here are a few more close ups!

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG7633.jpg (67.7 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG7634.jpg (61.8 KB, 156 views)
Old 03-06-09, 11:00 AM

Andy,

Thanks for the info, most interesting. Now you have pointed out the location of the Berks badge i can see it. I would like to blame the darkness of the badge/poor screen quality etc. for my lapse but not looking properly is a better reason.

Cheers

Ian
Old 03-06-09, 01:31 PM
Former Member

Here's is some info courtesy of Martin "Ticker" Riley, that there are a couple of sets of the Birmingham Mint medallions and badges up on e-bay at the moment, which includes lists, you will see that they are not cheap:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...3D120422469764

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...3D310145896380

Thanks Martin!

Andy

Last edited by 2747andy; 03-06-09 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-06-09, 01:44 PM

I'd be proud to have them as a collection mate, I think they have as much place as any other :-)

Have you shot the mint an email to see if they have any original literature?

Great to see,
ATB,
Tom
Old 04-06-09, 06:36 AM

Andy

Thanks for the information

So it looks like I might have an officers 11th Hussars.

Would all these badges have been produced with an accompanying medallion?

If that’s the case there are quite a few ‘broken’ collections out there.

Cheers
John
Old 04-06-09, 08:35 AM
Former Member

John,
has your 11th Hussars badge got a slider? I should imagine that if genuine it would be gilt with some sturdy lug type fittings? If it does have a slider it could be a good condition badge that has not undergone the vigours of brasso and a yellow duster? Or! and I hope this is not the case you may have big shinny repro?

Andy
Old 04-06-09, 09:23 AM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Default broken collections

Hello John,

Re the end of your post :-

[ If that’s the case there are quite a few ‘broken’ collections out there.

Cheers
John ]

I once saw an ebay seller, I can't remember who but he was selling the badges seperately for a fiver each and the medals for £25.00p each, it was a shame when looking at his/her listings to see a badge, a medal, a badge, a medal etc and etc, I have to say that there are some real ' philistines ' out there.

Dave.
Old 04-06-09, 09:40 PM

Andy

Mine has like you say 2 sturdy lugs fitted to the scroll slightly longer than your average OR’s lug.

Dave

I couldn’t agree with you more

Cheers
John
Old 09-02-11, 02:44 PM

Is this King's Own a Birmingham Mint item? It looks very similar to Andy's badge in post #1. If so, what is the going rate?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KO Bham F.jpg (51.6 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg KO Bham R.jpg (47.3 KB, 41 views)
Old 09-02-11, 03:26 PM
Former Member

John,
£3-5 max

Andy