British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-11-11, 03:50 PM

No J, no apologies necessary. I see your background as being able to give bona fide information. My apologies back, I might be a little grumpy this morning. My family had me out late this morning in NYC, so only got 4 hours sleep for the last three nights.
Please in the future don't hesitate in chipping on that great British tradition of a friendly debate.....and again to all ex servicemen on the forum; many thanks on your special day.

Regards to all

Simon.
Old 11-11-11, 04:04 PM

Going back to the original question, in my opinion your A & S H badge is good.
Old 11-11-11, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruachan View Post
Simon, many many apologies if I have given the impression that I was querying your judgement on the authenticity of the badge. There's no way on earth that I would ever question the opinion of anyone on this forum - I simply don't have the depth of knowledge so to do. It's rare to find such erudition anywhere else on the Internet. I was merely trying to give some Regimental perspective on this particular issue. The British soldier had (indeed, no doubt still does have) an uncanny way of altering the clothing and equipment that he is given to use. This manifests it in all kinds of ways - whenever new web equipment is introduced, the soldiers will attempt to hang on to their old stuff because wearing it is an indication that they have been around for a long time. Clothing is tailored to the n'th degree, often to the detriment of its utility in the field. And, of course, there is a general belief that every other army's gear is infinitely better than our own, so if you can beg borrow or nick some stuff from the Yanks or the Germans or whoever, this enhances your street cred enormously. The Germans never did understand the British Army - they simply couldn't believe that what was supposed to be a single, unified organisation could have so much variation in its uniform.

Anyway, apologies again to subjecting you all to the narcolepsy inducing droning of an old soldier. There can't be many conversational gambits that are more boring than that.

J
No apologies necessary as far as I'm concerned. I find it fascinating to read these first hand stories.
Old 11-11-11, 04:32 PM
Former Member

Just to add, I too think the badge shown at the start of the thread is a good one!

Andy
Old 11-11-11, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

I for one was glad of your information. I never realised about the doming of badges. Please keep contributing.

Alan
Old 11-11-11, 07:05 PM
Mr.P.Dreary

Just wanted add my thanks to 'J' for his detailed and illuminating contribution to this thread. And to everyone else... your comments and opinions are much appreciated, as always. For what it's worth I will be keeping the badge. My biggest cause for concern was the fact the seller had a number of scottish badges for sale including an all-brass Black Watch and all-brass 9th Battalion Black Watch. Both of these, I believe, should be treated with maximum suspicion. He also had a 4th/5th Seaforth Highlanders with a known fault near the letter 'E' seen only on fakes. Unfortunately I purchased this one, which can be seen here. Live and learn.
Old 11-11-11, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruachan View Post
Anyway, apologies again to subjecting you all to the narcolepsy inducing droning of an old soldier. There can't be many conversational gambits that are more boring than that.

J
Definately not on this Forum, keep them coming please.

Rgds,
Thomas.
Old 11-11-11, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
The quality of the pictures on the Scottish Regimental Badges web site are good but in the case of the Liverpool Scottish badges,4 of the badges shown are ( in my opinion ) spurious.

( bi metal 10th Kings glengarry badge,brass Liverpool Scottish ( Cameron ) glengarry badge , white metal 8th V.B. officers cross belt plate and black version of the 8th V.B. badge. )

P.B.
That site is all about quantity over quality, to be treated with a lot of caution.

Rgds,
Thomas.