British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-11-11, 06:10 PM

Default VERY CREATIVE WAY I HAVE TO SAY TO SHIFT A FAKE

I sure some have seen these. I have to say very ingenious.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190598524511...ht_1273wt_1277

Simon.
Old 08-11-11, 06:13 PM

"Detracted" Condition ????

P.B

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 08-11-11, 06:17 PM

You got to give it to him, he's put a lot of effort in........
Old 08-11-11, 08:44 PM

Looks like he's just pi**ed on them & stuck them out the garden for a while!!
Wilf
Old 08-11-11, 08:48 PM

Old 08-11-11, 08:53 PM

Oh deer...... very worrying. Have you seen the other "battlefield finds" that he has? Looks to me like he has driven over these in a car then done as said above then buried them in the garden for a few months.

Worrying thing is that there is a market for this kind of stuff and if they were real they could possibly be used in a positive ID for one of the fallen, but not now

Andy
Old 08-11-11, 09:09 PM

Default Phillip is OK

Hello fellow members
I have to say I know this dealer; I have done many deals with him, over many years. I have always found him honest and his items as described, if he's in doubt or if he has a repro badge he will always disclose this.
I know nothing of these badges, they don't interest me, as I only collect Australian items, to me they look OK, check out his other dug badges.
He has a very good reputation in Australia and New Zealand where he is based, and has been dealing for years.
He did his 'apprenticeship' with the great NZ badge guru, Geoff Oldham who has published several books on NZ badges. He has a sound knowledge of militaria... I guess what I am saying is that I trust him.
I am sure there are other collectors on this forum that know him and would agree with my thoughts
Is anyone here an expert on excavated badges?????
Geoff
Old 08-11-11, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh View Post

Worrying thing is that there is a market for this kind of stuff and if they were real they could possibly be used in a positive ID for one of the fallen, but not now

Andy
I thought that sometimes Andy when I do see real badges that have been dug up. I see these emanating from French sellers. I came across a French website that showed amateur diggers actually digging up skeletons they had come across and in the images they showed what they had found as regards the kit etc. I always wondered if they informed the War Graves Commission of their find, but tough as the site was in French.

Simon.
Old 08-11-11, 09:20 PM

Hi Geoff

My post in particular is the Leeds one. That is a fake to my knowledge. I may be proved wrong, but I'm sure on this one. In general the badges from what i can tell have some good one's among them.

I would bet that for someone so far from the field of battle where they were supposedly found has created a way to add value to somewhat common badges. Except the 7th Mancs and the Leeds Pals, but as I said the Leeds is dud and I think possibly the Mancs too.

I mean this one looks like it's been put through a mangle. Can't imagine what extreme weight in the field if dug up would flatten out the detail.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HIGHLAND-Lig...ht_1221wt_1345

Simon.
Old 08-11-11, 09:32 PM

There is also a Beds and Herts Yeomanry. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that a badge that came about in 1961. I suppose that it could have been dropped some time after that.

Andy
Old 08-11-11, 10:11 PM

I agree he's a good seller, I've bought from him in the past & I also agree some of the said dug up badges seem ok, but some are definitely not, I have a feeling someone from NZ has been in some of the shops in Ypres & bought a lot of these to sell back home, maybe Philip got them from this person, there is a mix of all kinds of tat & good stuff for sale in Ypres so it's caveat emptor as usual I'm afraid!!
Wilf.
Old 08-11-11, 10:24 PM

The mangled flat badge, if it was ploughed up and left near the surface, may have been run over by a tractor a few times before it was dug up. If its dry and the soil is baked hard, its possible.
Old 08-11-11, 11:26 PM

I go with the theory of a job lot from someone, but being a militaria dealer; I would have thought caution and some research. Especially in the case of the Beds and Herts and the Leeds Pals.

I suppose benefit of the doubt then. I wonder if he's remove the bum one's if told.

Simon.
Old 09-11-11, 10:43 AM

I too have had dealings with this seller and have found him to be trustworthy and reliable. I have sourced many rarer NZ badges for my collection. He even emails me if he finds another seller offering what I collect. If he is unsure of an item he will state that and he will acknowledge any corrections. The dealer is legit but maybe the original source may not be.