British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-01-18, 06:21 PM

Default Unknown Green Patch with Silver Maple Leaf

I have no idea if these patches are military. A silver bullion thread Maple leaf on a green rectangle. Any help identifying what they represent and who wore them most gratefully received.

Thanks

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8079.jpg (30.0 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8080.jpg (40.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 28-01-18, 12:44 AM

Default Re: Patch with bullion Maple Leaf

Good day Mark,

Information that I have says these patches were worn by Sr. NCOs of the 4th Canadian Division during WWI. Officers wore the patch with gold bullion Maple Leaf.

I'm attaching a picture of my Great-uncle, Lt. D. M. Wiswell, 85th CEF Bn. (which was part of the 4th Cdn. Div.) wearing said patch while in England with the N. S. Depot Bn. Hope it shows up well in the picture.

Regards,

Ian B
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lt. D.M. Wiswell, 85th CEF Bn..jpg (38.2 KB, 38 views)
The day the government succeeds in taking away our dress uniforms, badges and colours, and all the so called "non-functional" items; they will find themselves with an army that cannot defend them. Robert Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"
Old 28-01-18, 01:15 PM

Further to my last, Mark. In the late Clive Law's book, "Distinguishing Patches", not all battalions in the Division wore the patch with the bullion leaf. Also, this patch was unofficial during the war, not being approved for wear until early 1919.

Ian
The day the government succeeds in taking away our dress uniforms, badges and colours, and all the so called "non-functional" items; they will find themselves with an army that cannot defend them. Robert Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"
Old 28-01-18, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

In addition to Ian's comments, the patches were not likely available until after the war. The LAC records suggest these were something of an embellishment.
Old 28-01-18, 03:53 PM

Thank you both for solving the mystery it is much appreciated.

Mark
Old 29-01-18, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
The LAC records suggest these were something of an embellishment.
I must confess that my initial reaction to these was 'These are way too fancy' for a self respecting soldier. So, post-war garrison duty, when impressing the locals and vast amounts of time came together to produce all sorts of odd fashion trends.

My personal suspicion, unproven and probably unproveable, is that most of the WWI helmets with unit emblems painted on them are mostly post-war artifacts. these seem to fit the same category: 'let's tidy up and swank it a bit, chaps!'