British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-02-15, 06:37 PM

Default Unknown Gallipoli veterans lapel badge.

I bought this at Malvern today. Made by J.R. Gaunt London, it appears to be a Gallipoli veteran's lapel badge but I cannot find nothing about it on the internet. Any thoughts please?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Malvern 021.jpg (97.4 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg Malvern 020.jpg (68.5 KB, 36 views)
Old 15-02-15, 08:23 PM

Cool Gallipoli veterans lapel badge

Not a badge I have ever seen before, thanks for sharing.

Rob
Old 15-02-15, 08:46 PM

You are welcome. I had a few nice finds today but this was the cream on top. I have never seen one before either and I can only assume that it was worn by veterans but whether they were British or ANZAC veterans I just don't know.

The other alternative would be some sort of Gallipoli study group or society. It is odd that it has no name or title on it other than the locations and date.
Old 15-02-15, 09:42 PM

Simon,
Could it be a badge made for to be sold to tourists and vetran's families who visit the area?
Could you tell me what the landmass shown to the left of the map on the badge?
Eddie
Old 15-02-15, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebro View Post
Simon,
Could it be a badge made for to be sold to tourists and vetran's families who visit the area?
Could you tell me what the landmass shown to the left of the map on the badge?
Eddie
Eddie,

it could well be a badge made for members of a tour party. The name on the landmass is Imbros.

Simon
Old 15-02-15, 09:53 PM

Thanks,
Eddie
Old 02-10-17, 02:26 AM

How about the British Gallipoli Association? I have this one and another with a Latin motto on it which may ,however, be a TRUE association badge.

This could be one of those 1920s onwards "battlefield tours" or how about the 50th anniversary of Gallipoli (1965) that included a visit to the area?

The NZ association pin is a rather plain little stick pin that has been shown here before, but actually exists in about three similar versions.
Old 02-10-17, 05:17 AM

Looking at how it is attached to the clothing I would doubt that it was sold to tourists or veteran's families, more inclined to think it is a post WW1 veteran's button hole/lapel patriotic pin.
Gallipoli veterans pins are common here in New Zealand but most of these are New Zealand manufactured.
The Gaunt stamping could indicate a British veteran, but any Gallipoli veteran would be entitled to wear it.
Old 02-10-17, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
How about the British Gallipoli Association? I have this one and another with a Latin motto on it which may ,however, be a TRUE association badge.

This could be one of those 1920s onwards "battlefield tours" or how about the 50th anniversary of Gallipoli (1965) that included a visit to the area?

The NZ association pin is a rather plain little stick pin that has been shown here before, but actually exists in about three similar versions.
Could you post some pictures please?
Old 03-10-17, 02:39 AM

I'm more inclined towards the veteran badge and the "half moon" clip is going to indicate that it is largely for wear by men.

Also Gaunt made an awful lot of OCA badges as well as other veteran association material just as the badges made for the NZ associations tend to be the preserve of just a few firms.

Photos of NZ/GB items when I can!
Old 03-10-17, 04:20 AM

There is, or was, a Gallipoli Association, quite probably British. They had a journal named The Gallipolian which was still being published in 1997.

Keith
Old 03-10-17, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlie63 View Post
There is, or was, a Gallipoli Association, quite probably British. They had a journal named The Gallipolian which was still being published in 1997.

Keith
Still going, their website is here. http://www.gallipoli-association.org

Cheers, Pat.

Last edited by Pat Atkins; 03-10-17 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Couldn't get the link to work!
Old 03-10-17, 08:38 PM

Default Gallipoli association badges

Hi all

Here are a small selection of Gallipoli Association lapel badges. The "
stick pins" are all made in New Zealand with the "lollipop" one from Wellington and the other two from Auckland.

Interesting to note the variation in the colour of the "shield" although why this is I guess we'll never know. The white shield version was still being made in the 1970s although I guess that orders wouldn't have been coming through on a daily basis.....

There is a gent's tie that features this symbol which would be nice to find (I've seen the photos of this being worn at reunions and I do look in the op shops from time to time)

The bigger circular version (note the Union Jack) with the Latin motto must be fairly scarce and possibly predates the smaller "amber/ blue" one that started this thread.

Comments welcome!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gall.jpg (20.0 KB, 20 views)
Old 04-10-17, 02:09 AM

Attached Images
File Type: jpg gall.jpg (50.1 KB, 18 views)
Old 04-10-17, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Hi all

Here are a small selection of Gallipoli Association lapel badges. The "
stick pins" are all made in New Zealand with the "lollipop" one from Wellington and the other two from Auckland.

Interesting to note the variation in the colour of the "shield" although why this is I guess we'll never know. The white shield version was still being made in the 1970s although I guess that orders wouldn't have been coming through on a daily basis.....

There is a gent's tie that features this symbol which would be nice to find (I've seen the photos of this being worn at reunions and I do look in the op shops from time to time)

The bigger circular version (note the Union Jack) with the Latin motto must be fairly scarce and possibly predates the smaller "amber/ blue" one that started this thread.

Comments welcome!
I have one of the Gallipoli stick pins with this Australian Gallipoli plq ??
so was the same organisation here as well??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5244.jpg (69.2 KB, 20 views)