British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-02-12, 06:10 PM

yes indeed
Old 01-03-12, 08:15 AM

This is in theroy the first printed pattern but I am always a bit suspicious over however many unissued examples turn up.
Old 01-03-12, 09:37 AM

Oke thanks, I am scanning the internet for all kind of photo's to gather as many examples as possible, would be nice if there was a good reference about the WOII ones and the reproductions
Old 01-03-12, 11:53 AM

Default Found my dad's wyvern patches (and others)

Found this thread very interesting. I don't collect cloth but have my father's patches from WW2, including a pair of apparently unused Wyverns?
There is also a few other bits I'm unsure about. Perhaps someone can enlighten me about the cloth patches, stripes and other items. He served in Hampshire 1st Btn throughout the war.
I haven't worked out how to attach pictures to threads but have copied them into my album. Link below.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...p?albumid=1457

Appreciate any comments.
Kind regards,
Kevin
Old 01-03-12, 12:56 PM

album link doesn't work
Old 01-03-12, 03:31 PM

Default Try again

Hi there,
Sorry, I'm getting too old for all this technology. I made the album "public" but think the problem was the setting in my profile, where albums were only accessible to friends! Anyway, changed that to everyone, so should now work? Please advise me if still an issue.
Kind regards,
Kevin.
Old 01-03-12, 03:58 PM

It working Kevin, have place the ones I know in the album, what about the booklet underneath the Wyverns?
Old 02-03-12, 08:21 AM

The Booklet may be the program for service at Salisbury Cathedial when they then went on to unveil the memorial on Castle Hill Mere. One of a number of memorials to the division in the South West.

Edit. Just noticed the Second Army bit on the cover so will predate the service I mentioned above.
Old 13-03-12, 10:47 PM

Sorry for intruding onto your thread, but I picked up these recently, and wondered what you think....real or made-up ?

Wessex badge is denim-like material, with printed Wyvern in dull yellow, almost a light-tangerine colour....

The bottom is a Maroon Square, so 4th Wilts. / 129 Bgde.

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
Old 14-03-12, 12:53 PM

very nice ones, looking good to me
Old 15-07-13, 12:59 PM

Sorry for the necro post as my first! Regarding the printed 43rd Wessex Divisional insignia shown in the most recent posts they appear to be identical to the reproduction ones I have sewn onto my battledress as a member of the 4th Wilts Living History Group. I can't recall the name of the bloke I got them from along with printed "WILTSHIRE" shoulder titles but he's in the Netherlands. I'm sure another member of the group will remember his name if anyone is interested.

Regards
Marc
Old 26-02-16, 10:22 PM

Default 43rd Wessex Division

As a new member I'm searching through old threads, trying to get a sense of what is good and what is bad in my collection of British cloth badges. I've had an example of the variety shown at the beginning of this thread for some time. What is the final verdict, gentlemen? Thumbs up or thumbs down?

P.S. The Imperial War Museum has one in their collection: http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30071752
Old 10-08-17, 05:35 PM

Recently found this in 43 Recce's war diary for Jan 1944 - Wyverns will face front on left arm and rear on right arm, and interestingly, tongue and claws, if coloured, are to be Blue.
Nice confirmation of the facing and one for the mix regarding blue adorned Wyverns, also of note that there was a mix in the regiment of 'plain' and coloured flashes.
John
Old 10-08-17, 11:00 PM

Default Wyvern

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowder44 View Post
I wouldnt think so. No order would have been placed for an badge that was totally improper in heraldic terms. John
I would beg to differ. The original WO Controlled Troops FS came in facing pairs.

03.12.57. The WO informed all Commands and Districts that it had been brought to their notice that since the FS was manufactured in pairs, the lion in one Sign of each pair is standing on the crown with its head to the right instead of the left. That constituted an incorrect portrayal of the Royal Crest. Manufacture of this version was ordered to cease. It was accepted that the Lion on the left sleeve would face to the rear. Due to the number of years the FS had been incorrectly produced it was not intended to withdraw all the incorrect Signs.

This probably explains the dearth of QC pairs, and lends strength to the argument that the Wyverns could have been procured in facing pairs.
Also note that until fairly recently, FS were not Ordnance supplied items, but were all procured by local purchase. It was not until the late 1940's/1950's that the Dress Committee started to take an interest in authorising designs.

Stephen.
Old 11-08-17, 03:00 PM

The Dress Committee did not concern itself with Formation Signs until it discovered at its 121st Meeting on 7th July 1959 that in February 1957 it had approved an arm badge for 49th Divisional Signal Regiment of the same design as the formation sign approved in 1951 for the East and West Yorkshire Area. As a result the WODC’s Chairman, Major-General RF Johnstone, Director of Personal Services agreed to ‘arrange for all formation signs required in future to be dealt with by the Committee’.

Formation signs were never (and as far as I am aware, still are not) provided through Ordnance sources like other items such as cap badges. Although the Dress Committee approved the designs, responsibility for buying approved signs rested with a senior Ordnance officer of the formation requesting the sign, the cost - subject to a statutory limit - reimbursed to the formation when bought. The Committee several times rejected official provision as they feared they would be left with unused stocks if the formation was disbanded or asked to change the design.

Jon