British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-04-17, 04:53 AM

Default help with a couple of colour patch questions

hi all
firstly, what is the colour patch on the left hand side of the pic with the 2 patches? the right hand patch is AASC remounts, but the left patch which is brown and blue/purple i cant find?
also, the next question is the second pic showing the 30th Batt? im trying to refer it to Keiths book. is it 866?
in the book 866 is militia (no grey background) and my patch has the grey background. so mine is for the 30th overseas battalion?
cheers
bc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender (5).jpg (63.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 30th colour patch.jpg (42.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 15-04-17, 09:00 AM

Hey bc, they are 15 and 30 Bns, 851 and 866 respectively in my book. The grey background had absolutely nothing to do with the patch except to identify that the wearer had volunteered for the AIF.

I deliberately only showed colour patches with grey backgrounds in the book if they were authorised with a grey background. The patch of 15 Bn was dark brown over dark blue between 1915-1946, the patch of 30 Bn was purple and yellow 1916-1946. Between 1942-1946 some men of those battalions added grey backgrounds to those patches to signify that they were volunteers for unrestricted overseas service.

Cheers, Keith
Old 15-04-17, 09:38 AM

thanks keith
appreciate your help.
i know there's variation in the patches colours and shades of colours but some of the colours in your book are very deceptive.
cheers
bc
Old 15-04-17, 05:42 PM

Yes agree bc, the original colour plates were submitted as slide positives at the request of the printer. Unfortunately photographing the plates changed the colour values although I didn't know that until the books were printed and arrived. I wasn't a happy man!

However, just to make a point, amongst my actual examples of AAMC patches there were over thirty substantially different variations in 'chocolate'.

Keith