British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > Photographs of Australian Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-11-16, 08:59 AM

Default Bob Gray, 27th Battn South Aust Scottish 1938

Bob Gray was Australia's greatest badge collector. He was born in the early 1900s and died in the 1980s. He told me that he started collecting somewhere about 1927 and I owe him a great debt of gratitude for the help he gave me in my early days with information and swaps.
His collection of pre-federation State badges and early Commonwealth was unsurpassed. When he died he left his collection to the Sth Aust Army Museum where hopefully they can still be seen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SABBobGray1938.jpg (42.7 KB, 32 views)
Old 09-11-16, 09:16 AM

I saw the light horse component of his collection at the SA Army Museum about 4 years ago, it was the most complete collections I have seen in many years of collecting.

Unfortunately they didn't have the rest of the collection on display due to the limited display area they have for badges. Maybe next time.

I have seen photographs of a lot of his collection before it was donated and it has proved an invaluable resource.

Dennis
Old 13-11-16, 08:25 AM

Very interesting that Mr Gray was in the 27th S.A Scottish perhaps it sparked his interest in collecting badges. The Sth Aust Army museum is a place to visit, many great displays especially the pacific campaign section.