British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-04-16, 10:08 AM

Default 48th Highlanders, No Diamonds !!

Guys,

I got this the other day. It obviously is a cast copy, (didn't cost much) I got it as I have never seen a version of the badge without the 'diamonds' in the strap. The badge has a bit of age to it and has a slight mark next to the D but no sign of any diamonds.

Was this variant ever used and if so when?

Thanks again,

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 48 2.jpg (116.9 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg 48 1.jpg (90.6 KB, 89 views)
Old 13-04-16, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Bill, It is a cast badge, and is quite unusual without the diamonds. Ron (48th) should have more thoughts on this one.
Old 13-04-16, 11:37 AM

Thanks Bill. I have about 10 different versions of the 48th Badge but none without diamonds

Bill
Old 13-04-16, 12:01 PM

The only information I have on these are from the 48th Highlanders museum. They have one in their collection on display. It is labeled " 1939-1990, poured metal construction with out diamonds, made by the Scott Adie Ltd of London "
I do not have one in my collection yet so I am not that familiar with the details of the badge variation. I would assume original examples of this badge without the diamonds would have been made at some point during WWII. I have yet to find one so they must be rare.
Hope this little bit of information helps.
Old 13-04-16, 12:08 PM

Thanks Ron,

Do you think this one is a badge which might have been worn or a copy?

Bill
Old 13-04-16, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Bill, An answer to your question is nearly impossible. If it was a period production, it could very well have been worn. If it was/is a repro, chances are less. I think from Ron's comments it is a pattern I would want to hang on to.
Old 13-04-16, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdrop 68 View Post
Thanks Ron,

Do you think this one is a badge which might have been worn or a copy?

Bill

It is hard to say if your badge is original or a copy as I have only seen one before and never seen the back of an example with out the diamonds before you posted yours.
Initially when I saw yours I thought the back looked similar in construction to a few CEF 15th battalion poured reproductions I saw kicking around a few years ago. But after seeing the front looks pretty decent and reading that this example was originally manufactured using poured metal and not die stamped like the others I am a little less inclined to label it a fake. More research is needed.

Next time I am at the 48th museum I will get a better picture of this variation, ask if they have any information on it and with any luck they might let me handle it to see what the back looks like.

As to the question of when it was made... Hard to say. I have yet to see a picture of this cap badge being worn, mind you I have not looked a lot of material post 1950.
There could have been a limited run of these and were rejected by the regiment or never issued but who knows.
I am glad you posted this topic as I have been thinking about these and looking for an example for years with no luck.

As Bill A says, hang on to your example until more I do comes out.
Old 14-04-16, 08:08 AM

Ron / Bill,

Many thanks for the comments. I will certainly be keeping hold of this one and hopefully, Ron, any other information you can find will either confirm it's an original or copy.

In either case, I'll keep it in my collection as another variant. If it is a copy, it will be marked as such.

Thanks again, Bill
Old 04-05-16, 02:01 AM

One I have, a brass cast badge with only 3 diamonds
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (94.1 KB, 41 views)
Old 06-05-16, 01:53 AM

Thanks for posting this rare variation. Could you post a picture of the back of the badge?
Old 12-05-16, 12:31 AM

A little bit of an update on this thread, I recently went to visit a 48th Highlander WWII veteran friend of mine, among other things he brought out his Glengarry cap for me to look at as I was asking him about his cap badge.
To my surprise when I looked at the back of the cap badge it was CAST! But with the diamonds on the bottom. Little bit cleaner and I did not notice any grinding/sanding marks like on the badge that started this thread but definitely cast. Detail on the front was good.

I have looked own, handled and looked at a hell of a lot of 48th Highlander cap badges but have yet to see this one. I am going to have to start looking at the back of every cap badge I see now.

I asked him more questions, he bought the Glengarry private purchase in England during the war.
Asked him if he still has or if the cap badge on his Glen is the original one he was issued, he was not sure as he picked up a couple during the war and was not sure if his original cap badge is on his Glen or tam. He also added both badges have been on the head gear "a hell of a long time".

I think it is safe to assume he had the cast cap badge since the war or very shortly after, long before reproductions were being made.

The mystery continues.
Old 12-05-16, 12:58 PM

It certainly is an anomalie Ron.

Pity all these differences are not written down neatly for collectors like us.....but then, that's half the fun, doing the research

Regards, Bill
Old 10-08-16, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Ron / Bill,

Many thanks for the comments. I will certainly be keeping hold of this one and hopefully, Ron, any other information you can find will either confirm it's an original or copy.

In either case, I'll keep it in my collection as another variant. If it is a copy, it will be marked as such.

Thanks again, Bill
Hi Bill,

Just a follow up to your request and for my own curiosity I went to the 48th Highlanders museum.

The Museum (according to their write up of items on display) has two examples of poured cap badges. One with diamonds and without.
Long story short they will not let me look at the back of the badges as it is "to much work".
The conversation about the badges in question was just as unsuccessfully.

I am still on the look out for more I formation on these poured badges. If anyone has one in their collection please post a picture of it.
Old 10-08-16, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Ron, That is too bad. But it also goes to show that the quality of information out of musuems must be weighed very carefully. It all depends if the person in question has the knowledge of the badges. I am afraid very very few museums have staff that are well versed in the material history they hold.
Old 24-01-17, 02:59 AM

Quote:
It certainly is an anomalie Ron.

Pity all these differences are not written down neatly for collectors like us.....but then, that's half the fun, doing the research

Regards, Bill
So Bill,

After doing a bit of research and talking to other 48th cap badge collectors it looks like I might be closer to an answer for you.

The company Scott Adie was contracted to make 48th badges after the war, 1950's we believe, they produced cast badges and this is likely one of them. I have still yet to see the back of another. The 48th Highlanders museum has a badge that is cast, with no diamonds and attributed to being made by Scott Adie.

Let me know if you want to part with that one.