British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-01-17, 05:15 PM

Default Ordnance Corps Officers badges

Do any of the collectors out there have examples of New Zealand Ordnance Corps Officers gilt/silver enameled cap and collar badges that they could show some pictures of?

I believe that there were three variations;

The 1937-47 NZAOC badge with Kings Crown
The 1947-55 RNZAOC badge with Kings Crown
The 1955-96 RNZAOC badge with Queens Crown

I have the 1947-55 and 1955-96 Cap badges, but would be interested in seeing examples of the matching collar badges.

Regards

Rob
Old 23-02-17, 02:58 PM

Hello Rob
I don't have a 1937-47 set in G&S, and have only seen the cap once come up for sale on Trademe a few years back.
Attached are my 1947-55 and 1955-96, the latter (Queens Crown) I also have with screw posts to the back of the Cap badge.

Hope this helps
James.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6963.JPG (99.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6964.JPG (97.4 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6965.JPG (113.6 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6966.JPG (99.5 KB, 24 views)
Old 27-02-17, 05:50 AM

The pre 1947 Officers NZAOC cap badge is rare, but I think Wayne Ihaka who is a member of the Wellington Militaria Collectors Club and is also a member of this forum has such a hat badge in his collection.
Hopefully Wayne will post a picture of his cap badge.

The pre 1947 Officers NZAOC collar badges are even rarer than the cap badge. However I contacted John Winter who is a member of the South Island branch of the Wellington Militaria Collectors Club, and asked if he would be so kind to supply some pictures of his super rare left and right facing NZAOC officer collar badges.

Old 27-02-17, 06:14 AM

The following document is the regulation size of the Badges that were awarded Royal status.
Note the date is September 1948 suggesting badge production for the 1947-55 pattern RNZAOC badge would not have been before this date.

Old 27-02-17, 07:04 PM

James and Brent, Thanks for sharing the photos, especially of the 37-48 collar badges, given that the strength of the Ordnance Corps in the immediate pre-war era was sitting at around 6 officers and 30 OR's it is not surprising that these badges are rare.Hopefully in time I will have examples of these in my own collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atillathenunns View Post
badge production for the 1947-55 pattern RNZAOC badge would not have been before this date.
This document illustrates how there is a lag between the time from when a pattern of badge is authorised and actually manufactured and issued. This happened as recently as 1996 when the Royal New Zealand Army Logistic Regiment (RNZALR) was formed, every thing was in place for the formation parades, execpt that the the metal badges had not been manufactured and locally manufactured embroidered badges were used for the first few months on the regiments life.
Old 27-02-17, 11:52 PM

Default Ordnance Badge Pics

Sorry for poor pic. Here are my some of my Ordnance badges laid out...still haven't finished this set of drawers

You will see the 1937 type here, I have sets in brass, bronze and GSE, as well as a bronze cap variety
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170218_143109.jpg (78.6 KB, 39 views)
Old 28-02-17, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omok1 View Post
Sorry for poor pic. Here are my some of my Ordnance badges laid out...still haven't finished this set of drawers

You will see the 1937 type here, I have sets in brass, bronze and GSE, as well as a bronze cap variety
Craig any chance of some close ups of some of the rarer badges, and is that a NZOD badge with NZ above the shield in the top right corner?
Old 28-02-17, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omok1 View Post
Sorry for poor pic. Here are my some of my Ordnance badgesy
very comprehensive collection, the badge at the top right is an interesting variation I haven't seen before