British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-02-17, 12:24 AM

Default 127th Bn Oversize Shoulder Number

All:
Recently acquired an oversize shoulder number to the 127th that I believe is made up of two former pre-CEF militia numbers brazed together. That is to say a number 27 brazed to a number 1 to make the 127th shoulder number. The number is .76" tall and 1.675" wide which is bigger than the normal CEF shoulder. The fourth picture shows a comparison to a 126th shoulder number which is .51 tall and 1.192" wide. The latter being the normal size of a CEF shoulder. Possible that in the early going days this York county Battalion was in a rush to get a 127th number and maybe used the Lambton County 27th Militia number brazed to a number 1. This joining was very well done and really is only visible from the brass joint on the back of the badge. The original lugs of the 27 were removed and two pieces of wire were attached, possibly to fit through the heavier material of a great coat or something. In any event this is speculation on my part but it would seem to make sense to me. Enjoy.
Don
Old 20-02-17, 12:28 AM

Hi Don,

Thanks for sharing that, a nice find. As you point out, I'm also quite struck with the quality that this has been put together. Likely another one of those mysteries we will never be able to fully solve but interesting non the less. If nothing else, it keeps us looking and chatting about these piece.

Cheerio,

Roy

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 20-02-17, 12:49 AM
Super Moderator

Pure speculation, perhaps this was an interim cap badge?
Old 20-02-17, 01:14 AM

Thank you for the response guys. Bill I suppose that is a possibility. I wonder how common it was to use the number as a cap pending receipt of actual cap badges. Interesting.
Don
Old 20-02-17, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Don, I have seen several images of such a practice, including 101 for the 9th Bn. The large number would be cumbersome and even a bit dangerous on the shoulder strap. (As were the regulation size numbers and INF).
Old 20-02-17, 02:13 PM

Bill:
I do know that it was done on occasion. It is one possibility that I hadn't considered. Maybe one day we will turn over a postcard of the soldier wearing this very arrangement. As Roy pointed out it is what keeps this field so interesting.
Don