British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Other Army Departments and Corps Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-01-17, 02:53 PM

Default 182 COY RASC until 1945

Hello, I'm trying to get together the correct headdress, shoulder cloth badges for the following unit. 182 Coy RASC ( GT) Thanks.
Old 24-01-17, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

If it was a standard RASC Coy and assuming service in NW Europe (and the only reference I can find online is for a Petrol Filling Company of that number) the Headdress is easy - post 1943 khaki GS cap with plastic economy or brass GVI kings crown cap badge. Khaki side caps would have been worn before the GS cap and possibly by those who still had one after 1943.

Cloth RASC shoulder titles were replaced by khaki slip on ones near the end of the war. In addition there was a coloured AOC strip for the RASC which was worn on both arms. (see here for example http://www.photodetective.co.uk/RASC.html )

Formation sign would depend on which formation they were with.

Last edited by Alan O; 24-01-17 at 03:32 PM.
Old 24-01-17, 04:38 PM

My records show that there were a total of 219 Petrol Filling Coys RASC in 21st Army Group (including 182 Coy RASC). I believe that these will have been a 21st Army Group or Second Army asset so will have worn either the 21st Army Group or Second Army formation sign. It's also probable that 182 Coy RASC will have adopted a semi-official unit badge (painted on vehicles, but not worn on uniform. RASC units were particularly attracted to these any many of the designs have never been officially recorded. A few examples selected at random are attached. Mike
419 Tk Tptr Coy RASC.jpgUnident Tk Tptr Coy RASC.02.jpg299 Coy RASC.jpg
Old 24-01-17, 05:00 PM

Two examples of RASC soldiers serving in North West Europe, 1944-45 with RASC arm titles and yellow blue arm of service strips.

The shield is the badge of 21st Army Group's Lines of Communication Troops the spear the badge of 1st British Corps.

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 21 AG RASC Marcus.jpg (37.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg RASC I Corps Marcus.jpg (39.1 KB, 37 views)
Old 26-01-17, 05:57 PM

That's great, many thanks. I'm putting together a frame with my relations medals, dog tags and photo. I wanted also to put a cap in, as I have his brass cap badge. Again thank you.