British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-03-15, 11:19 AM
Former Member

Default Royal Munster Fusiliers. Informative Site but "Fake" badges!

A friend sent me a link to this site

http://www.royalmunsterfusiliers.co....its/4583365181

Sadly the All Gm "Economy Issue" badge which features in the heading (Top Right) is fake and also the Tyneside Irish "Cap Badge (ST) half way down the linked page, which it states has been recently found, is a post 1970's GAUNT "Dot" LONDON "Repro" and whilst the T.I. Shoulder Tiles can be found with manufacturer fitted sliders (but rare) the badge featured lacks the correct voiding and is undoubtedly "Fake".

If anyone knows the site creator, I would be more than willing to send him some images of genuine items as otherwise it is a very informative site!

Andy
Old 02-03-15, 12:36 PM

Default Royal Munsters site

Andy, a great site which IMO is spoilt by the use of fake badges some of which were dated and described as found in situ on the Western front. They may well have been found there, being "lost" in the 1970's not 1917.

If only people creating these sites researched things more thoroughly then future generations could use the sites as references for original badges and not further the promotion of fake items.

Whilst I know museums are costly to run, the selling of modern fake badges by some museums does annoy me, why not sell original items?

Rob
Old 02-03-15, 01:08 PM

Andy,
I do not have a problem with the Munsters badge at the top of the site. It makes it plain that the site is about the Munsters, a sketch or line drawing would have served the same purpose. A genuine badge would look nice but not essential.
As for the Tyneside Irish badge, It takes away from the content of the site as it is so blatently wrong while being promoted as genuine.
The price ticket on it gives the impression that it has made up to deceive, although probably not by the owner of the site.
I think the site is a genuine effort to record some history of a great regiment.
Eddie
Old 02-03-15, 01:29 PM
Former Member

Eddie,
I have an issue with fakes being shown on such sites because, as pointed out by Rob they are used as a reference. You are right that a line drawing would have sufficed, however if using actual badges they should IMO be genuine or clearly marked as copies, otherwise they'll be unknowingly used as references in the future.

Andy
Old 02-03-15, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
A friend sent me a link to this site

[url

If anyone knows the site creator, I would be more than willing to send him some images of genuine items as otherwise it is a very informative site!

Andy
Andy, the contact details are (bizarrely) under the 'Display exhibits' button.

http://www.royalmunsterfusiliers.co.uk/#/contact-me/4583257830

Ivan
Old 02-03-15, 02:23 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger123 View Post
Andy, the contact details are (bizarrely) under the 'Display exhibits' button.

http://www.royalmunsterfusiliers.co....-me/4583257830

Ivan
Ivan,
many thanks, I'll drop him an email.

Best Regards

Andy
Old 02-03-15, 06:50 PM

The 1916 Soft Cap is also a modern copy.