British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-03-15, 12:36 PM

Default east ??????

I am trying to identify the regiment of this soldier and hope someone can help. All I know is the surname PRITLOVE is it possible the reg. can be identified from the photo. I might be imagining it but think I can see EAST on his shoulder, what about his rank and swagger stick? can I see a smaller stick in his hand?
Any help much appreciated as always.
MIKE
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img052.jpg (77.8 KB, 98 views)
Old 01-03-15, 12:41 PM

Cap Badge looks like East Yorkshire at a quick glance.

cheers,

Andy
Old 01-03-15, 12:45 PM

I'm with Andy, cap badge looks East Yorkshire to me

Gerard
Old 01-03-15, 12:52 PM

Looks like a Cheshire Regt cap badge to me.
Isn't the scroll tighter to the rest of the badge on the East Yorks.
Paul
Old 01-03-15, 01:14 PM

Smile

Could it be Worcestershire?

Rob
Old 01-03-15, 03:51 PM

Cannot say for certain but the badge could be east yorks but equally it could be cheshires or even East Surreys. I don`t think it worcesters as the star and scroll are more elongated on worcesters. Shoulder title is not clear but seems to be two words so may suggest east yorks. The belt buckle is interesting as i think it is a universal pattern with crown over lion but it looks to be a QVC crown over. The peaked cap general issue for other ranks was not introduced until shortly before the first war. The shoulder pads suggest a bandsman as do the additional uniform piping and lanyard. Looking closely at the cap badge, is there a sign of a secondary scroll just above the main scroll? If it is, the may be a volunteer unit. Both the 1st & 2nd VB east yorks wore a secondary scroll in this position, not sure about the cheshires though i would have thought it a strong possibility. There are no sign of rank so would assume to be an other ranks but a bandsman. If i am reading the qvc belt buckle correct, this would date it pre 1902 for regular units but a little later for volunteers. Doubtful if it would still be worn after 1908 when the VB`s dissapeared nor when the peaked cap was introduced 1912(?). Did bandsmen wear peaked caps prior the Broderick being issued?
Just some ramblings but hopefully will spark off some further discussion.
Cheers, Dave
Old 01-03-15, 04:21 PM

From the cap badge I would be more inclined to say Cheshires than East Yorks and wonder if the apparent East on the epaulette is an optical illusion.
Old 01-03-15, 08:40 PM

There are Great War medal index cards for 19 soldiers called Pritlove. None in the East Yorks or East Surreys, None in the Cheshires and one in the Worcesters. You man doesn't have to have served in the Great War though. He seems to be a bandsman. Is there any information on the back of the postcard such as where it was taken or posted?
Old 01-03-15, 08:55 PM

I thank you all for your help. There are no words on the back of the photo or any other details. The only thing I can suggest is that "High Wood" might be right about a bandsman. I sent a copy of the photo to the Victorian Military Society and their reply was although they could not identify the regiment, they thought it was taken about 1890/early 1900 as the pointed cuffs were introduced early 1890`s .They thought he might be a drummer, shown by the shoulder wings and the "lace" or braid..that is all I have.
mike
Old 01-03-15, 09:10 PM

Couldn't it be a variant of the Worcestershire badge?
Old 01-03-15, 09:24 PM

Having enlarged the photograph I think that the cap badge is that of the Cheshire Regiment.
Old 01-03-15, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2M View Post
Couldn't it be a variant of the Worcestershire badge?
The soldier called Pritlove in the Worcestershire Regiment was an Old Contemptible so he would have had service before 1914. His SWB roll entry states that he enlisted on 26th January 1912.
Old 01-03-15, 09:35 PM

Not band but Drums, as per lace and green non Royal "dress cords" notionally for bugle. No earlier than 1902.
Old 01-03-15, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
Not band but Drums, as per lace and green non Royal "dress cords" notionally for bugle. No earlier than 1902.
Now that is interesting as the medal card gives his original rank as Dr which I take to be drummer. Given the length of the shoulder title, only half of which is visible on his left shoulder, I am now leaning towards this being the Worcestershire Regiment as their curved S.T. was one of the longest and most semi circular of all the line regiments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 30850_A001267-02902.jpg (36.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 30850_A001267-02902 (1).jpg (81.0 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by High Wood; 01-03-15 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-03-15, 11:03 AM

Worcestershire would fit non-Royal cords.